This Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup is loaded with creamy coconut milk, peanut butter, red curry paste, chicken, and veggies: onion, carrots, bell pepper, mushrooms, and broccoli! PACKED with flavor and healthy deliciousness! Less than 250 calories per cup!
This slow cooker Thai chicken soup is my new favorite recipe.
Is so so so soooooo good.
It’s one of those soups that tastes better with each bite and before you know it you’ve already licked your bowl clean.
Luckily, it makes a ton and is a cinch to whip up.
All your favorite Thai flavors thrown into a crockpot . . . it’s the best.
I <3 easy, healthy, and ridiculously good tasting recipes, don’t you? 🙂
I actually based this recipe off my crockpot Thai chicken curry! If you haven’t tried it, you must! So delish.
The flavors sounded really good, but I wanted something soupier – perfect for chilly, rainy spring days amiright?! – and a wanted to load up on the veggies.
Basically, I just threw a bunch of Thai inspired ingredients that sounded good into my slow cooker and
Slow cooker Thai chicken soup was born.
Let’s dooooooo this.
- Grease crockpot
- Whisk together sauce in crockpot: 2 cans lite coconut milk, chicken broth, peanut butter, red curry paste, fish sauce, soy sauce, dark brown sugar, garlic, and ground ginger <– YUUUUUM.
- Add in the goodies: chicken breasts, onion, carrots, bell pepper, mushrooms, and broccoli
- Cover and cook until your house smells ah-mazing
- Cube the chicken, season with salt, and throw in some lime juice
- Serve! I LOVE this over brown rice (noodles would be super good, too) and with a sprinkle of cilantro for freshness and peanuts for crunch
Now. A quick note about the veggies. You can TOTALLY use whatever you want, I just happen to really like this combination. Especially the broccoli, because it soaks up all the yummy broth flavor and I swear it’ll convert even the strongest broccoli haters. That being said, I think any veggies would probably work just fine!
A few other notes about this slow cooker Thai chicken soup.
- I use an entire jar of red curry paste and I didn’t think it was spicy. That being said I LOVE spicy food, so if you don’t like spice, start with 1/4 cup curry paste, you can always add more after cooking, but you can’t take it out. 😉
- I added red pepper flakes for more spice, but that’s totally optional. Again, add after cooking, if you want to add more spice.
- Season with salt AFTER you taste the finished soup. I needed a ton of salt, but you might not depending on what kind of chicken broth, peanut butter, and soy sauce you use.
Whatever veggies you use, however spicy you make this, I promise you, you guys are going to absolutely FLIP over this slow cooker Thai chicken soup.
Do you want more Thai inspired recipes? Show Me the Yummy!
Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Soup
Equipment for this recipe
- 2 (14 oz) cans lite coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup peanut butter the all-natural, runny kind no sugar or salt added
- 1 (4 oz) jar red curry paste start with 1/4 cup and add more to taste, I used the whole jar, but we like spice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 5 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional, start without and add after cook time for more spice
- 1 pound raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 cup diagonally sliced carrots
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 (8 oz) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 head broccoli cut into florets
- salt to taste if necessary, I needed quite a bit of salt, but it will depend on your soy sauce and chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Chopped cilantro garnish
- Chopped peanuts garnish
- Brown rice or noodles for serving
- Whisk together coconut milk, broth, peanut butter, curry paste, fish sauce, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes in greased crockpot.
- Add in chicken breasts, onion, carrots, pepper, mushrooms, and broccoli.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8 hours.
- Remove chicken and cut into chunks.
- Stir back into soup.
- Stir in lime juice.
- Taste and re-season with salt, more curry paste, red pepper flakes, if necessary.
- Serve over brown rice or noodles and garnish with cilantro and peanuts.
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.