Slow Cooker Kung Pao Chicken. Tender chicken, loads of veggies, and a delicious sauce! Perfect when served over brown rice or cauliflower rice! Easy. Healthy. Can be gluten free!
I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but
Knowing that, it should be no surprise then, that I really like crockpot recipes with Asian flair. 😉
So far, I’ve made crockpot orange chicken, slow cooker ramen noodles, slow cooker vegetable curry, crockpot sesame chicken, crockpot chicken broccoli, slow cooker honey sriracha chicken, and crockpot thai chicken curry!
Today, we’re adding one more recipe to that list: slow cooker kung pao chicken!
We all know that Chinese take out isn’t necessarily the healthiest choice in the world, but I mean, YOLO amiright?! It’s delicious and at the end of a long week, it’s ok to treat yo’self!
That being said, whenever Trevor and I get takeout I TRRRRRY making a healthier choice. Which often means I order Kung Pao Chicken, because
- It isn’t breaded
- It’s typically loaded with veggies
When I’m trying to make an even healthier choice, I make it at home!
Ordering take out or delivery is *often* quicker and easier, but you guys, this slow cooker kung pao chicken is *almost* as easy as online ordering. 🙂
Plus, it’s definitely healthier and dare I say . . .
- Whisk together sauce ingredients: broth, rice vinegar, soy sauce (or gluten free alternative), brown sugar, garlic, sriracha, ground ginger, and pepper.
- Pour half into greased crockpot, place chicken breasts and diced onion into crockpot, pour in the remaining sauce.
- Cover and cook!
- Remove chicken, whisk in water/cornstarch, stir in other veggies: red pepper, green pepper, celery, and add chicken back in.
- Cover and cook!
- Cut chicken.
- Serve with rice of your choice (I love this cauliflower rice) and top with cilantro, green onions, and peanuts!
See! How easy was that?! I love love love how tender the chicken gets. The sauce also gets nice and thick and I LOVE the crunch from the peppers and celery.
A quick, delicious, and healthier version of a Chinese take-out classic?
Slow Cooker Kung Pao Chicken
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce or gluten free alternative
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon sriracha more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts 4 (8 oz) breasts
- 1/2 yellow onion finely diced
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 2 stalks celery finely diced
- roasted salted peanuts green onions and cilantro, for topping
- Grease your crockpot with cooking spray. Whisk together sauce ingredients: broth - pepper. Pour half the sauce into crockpot.
- Place chicken and onion into crockpot. Pour the rest of the sauce over the chicken. Place the lid on and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 - 3 hours or LOW for 5 - 6 hours.
- Remove chicken from crockpot. Set aside. Whisk together water and cornstarch, then stir into the sauce until well combined.
- Stir the chicken back in and add the veggies. Cover and cook for an additional 30 mins on HIGH.
- Cut chicken, then stir it back into the sauce.
- Top with toppings and serve with cooked brown rice or cauliflower rice!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.