This Crockpot Thai Chicken Curry is healthy, tasty, & only takes one dish & five minutes to put together! 3 hours of cook time & you’ve got one yummy meal!
Question #1: Why do I not use my crockpot more?
Question #2: Why do I not make homemade curry more?
Question #3: Why have I never used my crockpot to make homemade curry before this?!
These questions were raised after I taste tested this yummy, delicious, creamy, tangy, so-full-of-flavor-I-almost-couldn’t-take-it, Crockpot Thai Chicken Curry recipe.
Crockpot meet your new best friend Thai chicken curry.
Trevor has introduced me to some pretty wonderful food over our years together: Indian, Vietnamese, Thai… the list could go on. While we love getting take-out from all of these delicious cuisines, making them at home always seems so daunting.
Here’s the thing though: it doesn’t HAVE to be.
Do you wanna know why?
Because you can make great tasting, better than take-out, ethnic food IN. THE. CROCKPOT.
I know. It seems crazy to think you could create something ethnic and wonderful in the slow cooker. But I’m here to tell you that you can.
Do you wanna know something else?
We only use ONE pot in this crockpot Thai chicken curry, because we whisk together our peanut-ty, red curry sauce directly in the crockpot!
Speaking of which. That sauce is 👌.
Coconut milk, peanut butter, red curry paste, fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic, chicken stock, ground ginger, and red pepper flakes get whisked together to make a wonderfully flavorful, sweet, peanut-ty, smooth, rich, tangy sauce.
But hold up a minute, let’s talk about the elephant in the room.
The dreaded fish sauce.
Here’s the deal: don’t skip it! Honestly… it. is. stiiiiinky. I use it in my Roasted Red Chili Tilapia and Thai Peanut Noodles, too. Every time I use fish sauce, I wonder if it’s going to kill the dish. I mean, how can something SO stinky, make food taste SO delicious?
I don’t know, but it works.
Fish sauce is so savory and really adds depth to the dish.
Just don’t smell it and you’ll be fine! 😉 Everything else smells great and I’m guessing you have everything but the red curry paste at home already! No worries, you can find this red curry paste at any grocery store in the ethnic aisle. Same with the fish sauce!
This crockpot Thai chicken curry is perfect for those Saturday’s or Sunday’s when you’re feeling lazy and have absolutely zero desire to cook or even walk to the nearest restaurant. That’s not just me, right?
So what’s left? Delivery.
Nope. Not anymore.
Crockpot Thai chicken curry toooo the rescue! It takes five minutes to put together and only a few hours to cook!
Don’t be confused when you read the recipe below…you read it right: 3 hours on low. Normally, you’ll see crockpot recipes that need eight hours on low, but for this recipe, we only need three. We don’t want the chicken to be falling apart tender. I tried cooking the chicken longer, but the texture just wasn’t right. After 3 hours, the chicken is perfectly cooked, juicy, but still intact, so take it out of the crockpot, cut it into bite sized chunks, and place back in the sauce and stir to coat.
After 3 hours, your house will smell ridiculously good and you’ll get to enjoy the best crockpot Thai chicken curry!
I served this over tender rice, sauteed red bell peppers – seriously, do it – and topped it with crushed peanuts for some crunch, fresh cilantro and sliced green onions.
So long take-out! See you never!
Fine. Trevor always tells me to “never say never”. But you get the idea. 😉
Should I do more crockpot recipes? Show me the yummy!
- 1 (14 oz) can full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts
- red bell peppers sautéed - optional, but recommended*
- cilantro for topping
- peanuts for topping
- sliced green onions for topping
- Grease crockpot with cooking spray.
- Whisk together sauce ingredients: coconut milk, peanut butter, red curry paste, fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, garlic, chicken stock, ground ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes directly in the crockpot.
- Place chicken breasts on top.
- Spoon sauce over the chicken, so it's fully submerged.
- Cook in crockpot on LOW for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, remove chicken from the crockpot and cut into large, bite sized chunks. Place back into the sauce and stir to coat.
- Serve immediately with sauteed bell peppers over rice. Top with chopped cilantro, crushed peanuts, and sliced green onions.