This Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup comes together in a matter of minutes, is healthy, gluten free, and full of veggies, lean chicken, plenty of texture, and loads of spices!
Apparently yesterday was National Taco Day, so while I’m a teeny bit late to the game on that one, it’s better late than never, and dare I say this taco soup recipe is just as good as an actual taco?! PLUS there are a buttload of leftovers! 😉
This soup is the perfect meal for those busy, chilly school weeknights when the last thing you want to do after you get home from work and the kids get home from school/after school activities is slave over the stove all night then do a bunch of dishes.
This Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup is a one pot wonder that’ll warm you from the inside out, keep you full and satisfied, and is just a great healthy, gluten free, cozy fall dinner.
Soup’s on, my friends!
We’re seriously ♡ing Austin.
We ♡ the people, we ♡♡ the weather, and most importantly, we ♡♡♡ the FOOD.
So far we’ve had fish tacos with jalapeno margaritas, BBQ with #allthesides (gimme all that potato salad please), lamb tacos with classic margaritas, and pork enchiladas with cucumber serrano margaritas <– yes, recreating that ASAP.
Oh, and we’ve had chips and salsa with every meal.
Do you see a pattern?
Before we left for Austin, I thought we’d get in the spirit and do tacos the easier, healthy way with this Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup.
Full of the same taco flavors you love all in a convenient little soup.
Simply throw all the ingredients into your favorite crockpot: chicken breasts, onion, green bell pepper, jalapeno, tomatoes, hominy <– latest obsession, black beans, refried beans, tomato sauce, broth, and a ton of taco spices.
Let it cook while you’re at work for the day and come home to the BEST smelling house and a hearty, healthy bowl of soup.
Top it with non fat plain greek yogurt, cilantro, green onions, maaaaaaybe some cheese, DEFINITELY a large squeeze of lime, and crushed tortilla chips, and I promise you, you’ll be one happy camper.
Full of veggies, lean chicken, plenty of texture, and loads of spices, this Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup is healthy, satisfying, and oh so cozy!
Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 jalapeño minced (omit if you don’t like spice or remove the seeds)
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes w/ green chiles
- 1 (15 oz) can hominy drained
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans drained
- 1 (16 oz) can fat free refried beans
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- lime juice highly recommended
- non fat plain greek yogurt
- cheddar cheese shredded
- Green onions
- Tortilla Chips
- Place all ingredients into crockpot (minus optional toppings).
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with two forks.
- Place chicken back into crockpot and stir to combine.
- Serve with optional toppings and enjoy!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.