This Easy Egg Drop Soup Recipe is quick, easy, gluten-free, and healthy! Plus, it requires just seven ingredients! The simplest flavor bomb soup you’ll ever make.
What is egg drop soup?
Egg drop soup is a classic Chinese soup of beaten eggs cooked into a chicken broth base with spices. Sometimes this soup comes with tofu added but today we’re keeping it simple with the classic ingredient list!
Just seven ingredients combined in a pan and you’re ready to go!
- Cornstarch – thickens the soup just a touch.
- Chicken Broth – the base.
- Ground Ginger and Garlic Powder – adds just the right amount of flavor.
- Sriracha – provides the soup with some heat.
- Eggs – can’t have egg drop soup without the eggs. 😉
- Green Onion – optional, for garnish.
How to make
Just 15 minutes to throw together. So easy! So yummy!
- Mix cornstarch, chicken broth, ginger, garlic powder, and sriracha in a saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer and whisk eggs together in a separate bowl.
- Add the eggs to the saucepan mixture then serve and enjoy!
How to thicken
If your broth isn’t quite as thick as you want it to be, feel free to add a touch more cornstarch. Start with a small amount and add more as needed. You don’t want to add too much!
Are the eggs cooked?
Yes! The hot broth cooks the eggs immediately so you don’t have to worry about eating raw eggs.
Is egg drop soup healthy?
Definitely! It’s low in calories and high in protein. I mean, just look at the ingredient list! Nothing bad here. 🙂
Make a full healthy meal by serving it with these healthy Asian lettuce wraps and you’ve got a super nutritious lunch or dinner.
I love to keep things simple by sticking to the recipe but sometimes if I’m feeling adventurous, I’ll mix things up a bit with some add-ins.
- Sesame oil. This adds that nutty flavor.
- Veggies. Try corn, peas, carrots, etc.
- Tofu. I like to cube up some extra firm tofu and toss it into the soup.
- Dumplings. Try out my egg drop wonton soup recipe!
What to serve with egg drop soup?
This soup is pretty light so I love to bulk my meal up with some other yummy recipes!
How to store
This soup will last in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. I don’t recommend freezing it because the eggs will become rubbery.
Reheat either in the microwave or on the stovetop!
Easy Egg Drop Soup
Equipment for this recipe
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups chicken broth you could also use vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- sriracha to taste, optional, but really delicious (we used 1 tablespoon)
- 4 large eggs whisked
- Green onions optional for garnish
- Place cornstarch into a saucepan.
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth. This helps prevent clumping.
- Turn on heat to medium, then add in ginger, garlic powder, and optional sriracha.
- Whisk to combine.
- Bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally.
- Once simmering, whisk eggs in bowl, then slowly pour (while whisking) into the hot soup.
- The hot soup cooks the eggs immediately.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
This post has been updated to provide more detailed content.