Enchiladas are now quicker, easier, and less messy with this Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup Recipe! Full of chicken, beans, and hominy, this recipe is healthy and delicious! 5 minutes of prep. Gluten free.
It also happens to be made in the best kitchen tool ever (the crockpot), healthy, cozy, and the perfect base for a TON of fun toppings.
You guys, THIS, is slow cooker enchilada soup.
And I love it so much.
I love it so much, because it’s literally the lazy girl form of enchiladas. 🙂 ALL of the best flavors, but like zero work. 🙂 Plus, it’s less messy. So it’s DEFINITELY a lazy girl win.
It’s also healthier, which is awesome, because hellooooo January resolutions AND it can cook all day while you’re at work, so it’s super low maintenance. 🙂
Slow cooker enchilada soup, you’re rockin’ my lazy while trying to be healthy girl world.
There are some things that I hardly ever make at home, but LOVE to order at restaurants, because let’s be real, sometimes restaurants do it better 😉
- Pad thai <– need to figure out a quick and easy, authentic-ish recipe
- Indian <– liiiiike, I don’t even try, because restaurant Indian food is the best
- Enchiladas <– often too messy and too many steps
While it may take me longer to figure out the homemade pad thai and Indian food thing, I’ve DEFINITELY figured out how to make enchiladas at home, and that’s by deconstructing them and making them into a soup! 😉
Here’s what you’re gonna do:
- Place everything into your crockpot, let it cook all day, shred chicken, top with #allthetoppings, serve. 🙂
It’s literally that easy. The “everything” is: chicken breasts, chicken broth, enchilada sauce, black beans, tomatoes, hominy, green chiles, and taco seasoning. Plus a little salt and extra cumin if you need it. 😉
That’s it! SOOOO easy and yummy.
What the heck is hominy?!
Hominy is basically whole corn kernels that have been soaked in a solution, making them really soft and chewy. You COULD use “regular” corn in this instead of the hominy, but I LOVE the texture of hominy and I feel like it gives you more of that corn tortilla flavor you’d find in traditional enchiladas. 🙂
PSST – you can find hominy right next to the corn in the canned vegetable aisle. 🙂
So, to wrap this up, this slow cooker enchilada soup is basically everything.
Quick. Easy. Not Messy. Healthy. Cozy. Warm. Tastes Like Enchiladas.
Do you guys want more ridiculously easy crockpot dinners like this? Show Me the Yummy!
Slow Cooker Enchilada Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (19 oz) can enchilada sauce
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can hominy drained - can use corn instead if preferred
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chiles undrained
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles undrained
- 1 (1 oz) packet taco seasoning *
- Cilantro optional for topping
- Sliced jalapeños optional for topping
- Finely diced red onions optional for topping
- Greek yogurt optional for topping
- Avocado optional for topping
- Crushed tortilla chips optional for topping
- Shredded cheese optional for topping
- Place chicken, broth, enchilada sauce, black beans, hominy, tomatoes, green chiles, and taco seasonings into crockpot.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4.
- Shred chicken and serve with optional toppings!
*Note: Nutritional information is estimated and varies based on products used.