This Crockpot Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe is packed with healthy foods like lean chicken, veggies: onion, garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms – and spices. It’s also SO creamy and satisfying thanks to a bit of half & half, a touch of cream cheese, and rotini pasta noodles. Hearty, but not heavy at all! The perfect cozy winter soup.
It’s the Monday after Thanksgiving.
That means, we’re ALL on the struggle bus trying to get through our first Monday back to work.
That means, we’re ALL out of recipe ideas, because helloooo we just spent the last week cooking and prepping Thanksgiving food.
That means, we need an ultra easy dinner recipe . . . that’s also healthy-ISH, because hellloooo potatoes, corn, and all the carbs.
I literally haven’t had a vegetable in like a week. #noregrets
Enter: crockpot creamy chicken noodle soup.
Aka the best, coziest, most perfect winter soup.
Today’s recipe is:
- Quick & easy
- Hearty, but light <– it’ll keep you cozy, but won’t weigh you down (AND there are veggies present)
This recipe was inspired by my instant pot chicken noodle soup.
While I absolutely LOVE that recipe, I wanted something creamier, and I mean, you guys know me, I LOVE my slow cooker more than anything.
Ingredients in crockpot creamy chicken noodle soup:
- Chicken breasts
- Spices: basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, nutmeg, salt, and pepper
- Chicken broth
- White wine
- Half & half
- Rotini noodles
- Cream cheese
How to make slow cooker creamy chicken noodle soup with cream cheese:
- Place chicken, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, spices, chicken broth (you’ll reserve some for step 3), and white wine into a greased crockpot.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours or LOW for 6-8 hours.
- Uncover, remove chicken, and shred. Stir back into soup.
- Whisk together reserved chicken broth, half & half, and flour.
- Stir mixture into soup.
- Stir in noodles and just a teeny tiny touch of cream cheese.
- Cover and cook for an additional 15-30 minutes, or until noodles are cooked to your liking.
- Serve and enjoy!
Can I use frozen chicken breasts in this easy creamy chicken soup?
Technically, you’re not supposed to cook frozen meat in the crockpot due to food safety issues.
If you only have frozen chicken, I’d recommend thawing it beforehand.
Can I adapt this recipe at all?
Sure! Although I think this is best as written, here are some minor adaptations you could make:
- Omit mushrooms if you’re not a fan.
- Try different spices: thyme and rosemary would probably be delicious.
- Omit white wine and replace with more broth (although you’d probably need to reduce salt as well then).
- Replace half & half for heavy cream or milk. Heavy cream will be creamier and milk will be more runny.
- Use gluten free flour or noodles <– not sure how gluten free flour/noodles will cook in the broth, but I’d love to hear if anyone has tried it in the comments below! You could also cook the noodles separately if you’re worried about them falling apart in the soup.
- Use another shape of noodles. Keep an eye on cook time! I’ve only tried rotini.
- Use a light cream cheese instead of full fat. You could also try greek yogurt.
I love how many healthy foods are packed into this soup: lean chicken, veggies: onion, garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms – and spices! That being said, this crockpot creamy chicken noodle soup is perfectly creamy and SO satisfying . . .
and don’t forget how quick and easy it is, too!
Do you want more crockpot soup recipes? Show Me the Yummy!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 small yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 large carrots
sliced into coins
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 (8 oz) container sliced mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
plus more to taste (I used quite a bit more)
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans chicken broth
reserve 1 cup for later
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 cup half & half
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 (8 oz) box rotini pasta noodles
- 1 (4 oz) package cream cheese
cubed and brought to room temperature
- Grease crockpot with cooking spray.
Add in chicken, onion, garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms, basil, oregano, Italian seasoning, nutmeg, pepper, salt, chicken broth (minus the 1 cup you reserved), and white wine.
- Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on LOW or 3-4 on HIGH
- Remove chicken and shred. Set aside.
Whisk reserved 1 cup chicken broth, half and half, and flour together in a small bowl.
- Slowly stir into crockpot.
- Stir in noodles, cream cheese, and shredded chicken.
Cover and cook for an additional 15-30 minutes, or until noodles are cooked to your liking.
- Taste and re-season if necessary and enjoy!
See post above for adaptation recommendations for wine, half & half, pasta noodles, and cream cheese!
I think you could make this gluten free by using an all-purpose gluten free flour and gluten free noodles. I'd cook the gluten free noodles separately.
* This post contains affiliate links. We receive a commission on purchases made via these links. The price you pay is not affected by using them.