How about a steaming hot bowl of Slow Cooker Chicken Lentil Soup on a chilly day? This soup is easy, healthy, and has 300 calories per serving!
This Slow Cooker Chicken Lentil Soup Recipe is one of our most popular recipes (originally posted January 6, 2016), so I’ve updated it to include a how-to video! Enjoy!
I love my crockpot.
Liiiiike I love it so much that I think I need to buy a few more, because all I ever want to do is have every meal made in my crockpot:
I mean. There’s just nothing better than a crockpot.
Typically, all you need to do is throw everything together, place it into the slow cooker, and walk away. By the time you’re home for dinner, dinner is ready to go!
Sorry, I’m obsessed.
This recipe in particular is one of my new favorites.
Not only does it taste so, so delicious, it’s also ridiculously healthy!
Lean chicken breasts and protein/fiber filled lentils make up the bulk of this soup, but it’s also full of onions, garlic, tomatoes, and loads of flavorful spices!
This Slow Cooker Chicken Lentil Soup is my dream meal.
It’s easy, it’s healthy, it’s cozy, and it’s packed with flavor.
Ok. It’s Wednesday. Let’s be honest, how is everyone doing on their New Year’s Resolutions? It’s day three (Friday and the weekend totally didn’t count 😉 ), and I’m still doing well! I’ve started my Barre classes again <– another obsession of mine… and Trevor and I are back to working like crazy and eating healthy foods.
On Monday (check out that vegan granola, it’s so addicting), I mentioned that meal prep is how I like to stay on track with healthy eating.
This Slow Cooker Chicken Lentil Soup is p.e.r.f.e.c.t. for that. Make a batch of this on Sunday and have your lunches or dinners ready for the rest of the week. I’d say this recipe makes enough for 8 large servings and guess what?
It’s less than 350 calories per serving with a whopping 32.8 grams of protein!
This soup is full of protein, fiber, and is seriously filling thanks to the chicken and lentils.
This slow cooker chicken lentil soup is also seriously t.a.s.t.y.
I just love the unique texture of lentils combined with tender, shredded chicken, juicy tomatoes, and soft onions. Plus, let’s talk about what makes this soup completely flavorful: the spices.
Slow cooker chicken lentil soup ingredients:
- Lentils (brown or green)
- Chicken breasts
- Diced tomatoes
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Dried oregano
- Chili powder
- Smoked paprika
- Chicken broth
- Optional toppings: green onions, cilantro, non fat plain greek yogurt
How do I make this chicken and lentil soup recipe?
- Place lentils, chicken, tomatoes, onion, garlic, spices and broth into crockpot.
- Stir to combine, cover, and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
- Shred chicken and serve with optional toppings: green onions, cilantro, and greek yogurt!
It’s kind of crazy how flavorful a dish can be that literally takes you 5 minutes to prep.
If you’re looking for something healthy, something filling, something that makes a t.o.n., and something that is packed with flavor, this slow cooker chicken lentil soup is for YOU!
Slow Cooker Chicken Lentil Soup
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 pound dried lentils
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts*
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt
- Cayenne if desired*
- 7 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Green onions for topping
- Cilantro for topping
- non fat plain greek yogurt for topping
- Grease crockpot with cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients into crockpot (except green onions, cilantro, and greek yogurt) and stir to combine.
- Cook on HIGH for FOUR hours or LOW for EIGHT hours.
- After the soup is done cooking, remove chicken breasts and shred them using two forks.
- Place chicken back into soup and stir to combine.
- Serve with sliced green onions, chopped cilantro, and greek yogurt!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.