This Roasted Tomato Soup is healthy, gluten-free, and can easily be made vegan! Packed with tomatoes, onions, and garlic, this soup is so delicious and so easy to make you’ll never even think about canned soup again!
When I think of cool weather, I think of fuzzy socks, furry blankets, and soup. There’s really nothing better than coming home on a chilly day to a steaming hot bowl of soup. When I developed this recipe, I wanted to come up with the PERFECT cold day soup. I was completely blown away by just how good this roasted tomato soup turned out to be. So long canned tomato soup! See you never!
You only need nine ingredients for this roasted tomato soup recipe. It’s pretty amazing how so few ingredients can taste so darn good!
- Canned Tomatoes – the base for the soup. I use both the tomatoes and the drained tomato juice from the can so make sure you save the juice!
- Yellow Onion – gives the soup a subtle sweetness.
- Garlic – provides that nutty, garlic flavor.
- Olive Oil – used to roast the tomatoes, onion, and garlic.
- Brown Sugar – adds a little bit of sweetness and cuts the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Butter – makes the soup creamier. If vegan, either sub with vegan butter or omit entirely!
- Dried Basil – adds a nice herbaceous flavor to the soup. I use this over fresh basil, because I always have it on hand and I prefer the stronger flavor and more subtle texture.
- Bay Leaf – used to add extra flavor. Bay leaves should not be eaten so make sure you remove the leaf before blending the soup!
- Vegetable Broth – use your choice of broth (chicken broth will work just fine.) I stuck with vegetable broth to keep the soup vegetarian/vegan!
- Heavy Cream (optional) – makes the soup even creamier.
- Sour Cream (optional) – adds a bit of tang to an otherwise relatively sweet soup.
How to make roasted tomato soup
This soup is super easy to make and so darn good!
- Drain your tomatoes.
- Roast the drained tomatoes, onion, garlic, olive oil, brown sugar, and salt on a baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat.
- Once roasted, pour veggies, butter, dried basil, bay leaf, tomato juice, and broth into a large stockpot. Simmer then remove bay leaf.
- Transfer mixture to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy with a grilled cheese sandwich!
Just four simple steps and you’ve got the creamiest, coziest, yummiest bowl of soup of all time!
How to make roasted tomato soup vegan
This roasted tomato soup recipe is naturally vegetarian, assuming you use vegetable stock rather than chicken broth, and can easily be made vegan as well! Simply sub vegan butter for butter and leave out the optional heavy cream and sour cream add-ins!
Another option is to omit the butter entirely from the soup, but it will leave the texture a little less creamy. Either way, the soup will be delicious!
What to serve with roasted tomato soup
My personal favorite thing to serve with this soup is a classic grilled cheese (hello wonder bread and american cheese slices). Want to take it up a notch? Try my caprese grilled cheese sandwich! You could also serve it with any other type of sandwich like my pastrami sandwich or this turkey meatloaf sandwich!
More of a salad lover? Have your soup with a side of this Easy Caprese Salad!
How to store
This soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months!
To reheat, simply pop in the microwave or in a pot on the stove until warm!
Roasted Tomato Soup
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 (28 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes drained - save the juice!
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 4-6 cloves garlic peeled, but kept whole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter omit or sub with vegan butter if vegan
- 1/2 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- heavy cream optional for topping
- Sour cream optional for topping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
- Place the drained tomatoes onto the prepared baking sheet with the onion, garlic, olive oil, brown sugar, and salt.
- Toss together to combine.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 mins, stirring half way through.
- Pour the roasted vegetables, butter, dried basil, bay leaf, reserved tomato juices, and broth into a medium sized sauce pan.
- Bring to boil over medium high heat. Then reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Blend in high powered blender until smooth.
- Serve with optional ad-ins and a grilled cheese sandwich!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
This post was originally published December 15, 2014 and has been updated to provide new photos, video, and more detailed content.