Everything you love about carne asada made easier with a crockpot! This Slow Cooker Carne Asada is so tender, juicy, full of flavor, and topped with the best, homemade pico de gallo.
You guys have heard of Taco Tuesday, right?
Well, Trevor and I never actually remember to partake in Taco Tuesday ON Tuesday, so now we just call it Taco Night any time we have something that resembles a taco for dinner.
We started doing this a few weeks ago and what started out as ONE Taco Night. . . turned into two Taco Nights. . . then three. . . then. . .
You get the idea. We’ve been having lots of Taco Nights, but you guys, the thing is, how can you NOT have Taco Night when things like this Slow Cooker Carne Asada exist?!
While it might not be 100% authentic (um I’m pretty sure carne asada isn’t typically cooked in a crockpot 😉 ), the flavors are totally spot on, it’s crazy quick and easy to throw together, the steak gets ridiculously juicy and wonderful in the crockpot, and helloooo it’s a pretty darn healthy, well rounded meal!
Add that with corn tortillas + cotija (or lets be real, I just used crumble feta) + the BEST fresh pico de gallo and you’ll be having Taco Night e.v.e.r.y. night.
You guys know that I’m typically not a steak eater. If I had to chose between a chicken breast and a burger, I’d pick the chicken breast 9 times outta 10.
Especially when I go out for Mexican food, hold the steak, and give me all those chicken nachos, chicken enchiladas, and chicken fajitas.
That being said, I can’t get enough of this juicy, steak-y Slow Cooker Carne Asada.
It all starts with flank steak and a flavor bomb spice rub: smoked paprika, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, and of course, salt and pepper.
The spice rub gets whisked together with olive oil and then gets rubbed on the flank steak.
THEN, the spice rubbed steak cooks low and slow in the crockpot with freshly squeezed orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, soy sauce (trust me), and vinegar.
6 hours later, you’ll come home to the most fabulous smelling kitchen and the most tender carne asada.
Plus, bonus, you making the spice rub, and juicing a few citrus fruits literally takes less than 10 minutes, so BOOM! You had dinner ready in less than 15 minutes!
Now, there are definitely two stars in this recipe: the steak (obvi) and the pico de gallo.
Whatever you do, do NOT skip making your own pico de gallo. It’s SO easy and ohmygosh it adds so much texture and brightness to the steak.
For the pico: stir together freshly diced tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, and salt.
So. Easy. And guess what? Make this the day before, so
- There’s less to do the day of
- The flavors can really have a chance to meld together and become oh so delicious
I always make the pico the day before and honestly it tastes better that way. 🙂
Ridiculously juicy, perfectly spiced, amazing Slow Cooker Carne Asada ✔️
Fresh, bright Pico de Gallo ✔️
Now all that’s left is the assembly!
I love this with corn tortillas and a little sprinkle of cotija (or crumbled feta if you’re keepin it real 😉 ), but the carne asada also makes for some fantastic hard shell tacos and quesadillas (with pepperjack cheese, of course). It’s up to you!
However you decide to serve this, this Slow Cooker Carne Asada is so quick and easy to make, full of flavor, and is topped with the best, freshest pico de gallo!
Oh. And be warned, these are j.u.i.c.y. so this isn’t a great “first date” meal, unless you don’t mind juice running down your chin. 😉
Happy Taco Night!
What’s your favorite dish that you’d like me to turn into a crockpot dish? Show me the yummy!
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt more to less to taste (I use about 1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice about 1 orange
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice about 1 lime
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon about 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 5 roma tomatoes diced
- 1/4 yellow onion diced
- 1/4 cup Cilantro minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper minced, seeded if you want a more mild taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- salt to taste
- corn tortillas
- Cotija or crumbled feta
- In a small bowl, whisk together spices, then stir in the oil.
- Rub half the spice mixture on one side of the flank steak.
- Flip over and rub the rest of the spice mixture on the other side.
- Whisk together the orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, and vinegar.
- Grease a crockpot and pour in half of the juice mixture.
- Place the steak in the crockpot and pour the rest of the juice over the top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours.
- Once cooked, remove steak from crockpot and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, thinly slice the steak against the grain.
- Gently place steak back in crockpot and mix with juices.
- Serve with corn tortillas, pico de gallo, avocado, and cotija!
- In a medium sized bowl, mix all ingredients together, cover, and place in fridge until ready to use!
- Make this the day before to really let the flavors shine!