This Slow Cooker Carrot Cake is quick, easy, and so decadent! Spice cake is layered with cheesecake pudding, pecans, coconut, and carrots, drizzled with caramel, then finished off with a crunchy streusel topping.
I LOVE slow cooker cakes…and this carrot cake recipe is no exception.
Picture this: pudding, caramel, spice cake, streusel, coconut, carrots, and pecans all combined in a delicious crockpot recipe? Did you just die and go to heaven too?
This crockpot cake is gooey from the pudding, fluffy from the spice cake mix, LOADED with texture from the carrots, coconut, and pecans, and absolutely packed with flavor!
- Instant Cheesecake Pudding and Skim Milk – mixed together to make the instant pudding which adds flavor and helps bind the cake ingredients together.
- Chopped Pecans – gives the cake a slightly crunchy texture.
- Shredded Coconut – adds chewy texture and delicious, slightly sweet flavor.
- Grated Carrots – you can’t have carrot cake without the carrots.
- Caramel Ice Cream Topping – I use a jarred variety of topping but feel free to use a homemade caramel sauce instead!
- Spice Cake Mix – I love the warm flavors of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in spice cake.
- Butter, Dark Brown Sugar, and Pecans – makes up a warm, sweet streusel topping for the cake.
- Vanilla Ice Cream – for serving, if desired.
How to make
I love crockpot recipes because you can just throw and go! Crockpot cake is no exception!
- Make your instant pudding according to package directions then pour into greased crockpot. Spread evenly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle on 1/2 cup chopped pecans, shredded coconut, and grated carrots then top with caramel sauce.
- Add in cake mix and use your hands to spread it out evenly and gently press it down.
- In a medium sized bowl, melt butter then add in brown sugar and 2 cups chopped pecans. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the butter/brown sugar mixture over the crockpot mixture, then cover with a thin tea towel.
- Place the lid on top and cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours or on LOW for 4-6 hours then serve and enjoy!
how long to cook
I cooked mine on LOW for 6 hours and it came out perfectly!
However, crockpots can vary so if you’re cooking on HIGH I recommend checking after 2 hours and if you’re cooking on LOW I recommend checking after 4 and 5 hours just to be sure it doesn’t over-cook.
What pudding to use
I use cheesecake flavored pudding because I think carrot cake was made for cream cheese frosting.
However, if cheesecake isn’t your thing, white chocolate, caramel, or butterscotch would all be delicious as well!
Can you make slow cooker carrot cake in the oven?
Absolutely! To cook your cake faster in the oven, just layer and assemble in the order directed, then bake at 350ºF for roughly 45 minutes.
The great thing about this cake is it’s so easily customizable! Feel free to play around with flavors and mix-ins!
- Use another nut. Swap the pecans for chopped walnuts, almonds, or macadamia nuts if preferred.
- Try other pudding flavors. White chocolate, caramel, or butterscotch pudding would all be delicious as well.
- Add other mix-ins. Try raisins, white chocolate chips, or even marshmallows!
How to store
Leftover carrot cake will last in an airtight container at room temperature for 1-2 days, in the fridge for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 4-5 months.
To reheat, microwave or bake until heated through!
Easy Slow Cooker Carrot Cake
Equipment for this recipe
- 2 (1 oz) packages instant cheesecake pudding made according to package directions (each package should call for 2 cups milk)*
- 4 cups skim milk this is what should be called for between the 2 packages of instant pudding mix
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup freshly grated carrots not pre-shredded
- 1/2 cup jarred caramel ice cream topping plus more for serving
- 1 (15.25 oz) box spice cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter melted (1/2 cup = 1 stick)
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 cups chopped pecans plus more for serving if desired
- Vanilla Ice cream for serving
- Grease crockpot with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Make instant pudding according to package directions then pour into greased crockpot.
- Spread with a spatula to evenly cover the bottom of the crockpot.
- Sprinkle pudding evenly with 1/2 cup chopped pecans, shredded coconut, and grated carrots.
- Top with caramel sauce.
- Sprinkle in cake mix and use your hands to spread it out evenly and gently press it down.
- In a medium sized bowl, melt butter.
- To the melted butter, add in brown sugar, and 2 cups chopped pecans.
- Stir to combine, then sprinkle evenly over cake mix.
- Cover with a thin tea towel (this catches any condensation) making sure the towel does not touch the cake below, then place lid on top.
- Cook on HIGH for 2-3 hours* or LOW for 4-6 hours*, or until cake is cooked to your liking.
- Scoop and serve with vanilla ice cream and an extra drizzle of caramel.
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.