Slow Cooker Carnitas. An easy, flavorful, healthy meal made in the crockpot. Tender pork served in your favorite tortilla and topped with a homemade salsa? Gimme!
It’s Monday. We’re all tired. We’ve all got a lot to do today and I don’t know about you, but even though my job is all things food, at the end of the day, I’m too exhausted to think about what we’re having for dinner. . . other than leftovers from recipe testing. . . which is sometimes cookies. 😉
That’s why I seriously love my crockpot.
Throw a bunch of stuff into it in the AM and come home to a delicious smelling dinner that’s ready and waiting for you.
You know my obsession with my crockpot is seriously real, so you know I’m extra excited for today’s Slow Cooker Carnitas Recipe.
Easy. Tender. Yummy. Deliciousness.
Stop what you’re doing and go get the ingredients!
Last January, Trevor and I took a vacation to Mexico.
We’re still talking about. 😉
We’re pretty low key on vacation, so all we needed was warm weather, good food, good drinks, and a place to lay out by the pool.
The place we were staying was an all inclusive resort (it’s Excellence Playa Mujeres if anyone is interested 🙂 ) that had different restaurants located throughout the hotel.
One night, they had a big Mexican Fiesta outside with live music, a tequila bar, and different stations set up with tons and tons… and tons of food.
Naturally, I started my meal with a gigantic serving of chips and salsa – and a margarita, obviously – but after that, I ventured over to the meat carving station where they were serving fresh pork carnitas.
I went back to my table, sat down, took a bite and….
OMG. Died and went to heaven.
Honestly the best carnitas I’d ever had.
So juicy and tender and ridiculously full of flavor.
That night, I didn’t just have seconds, I had thirds and it was totally worth it.
Ever since, I’ve been craving carnitas like a mad woman.
So, today, I give you my “SMTY: easy recipes for yummy food” version: Slow Cooker Carnitas.
These bad boys pack in all the great flavor you love, but are made extra easy with the crockpot.
Simply whisk together the spices: paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and oregano with olive oil to create a rub for the pork shoulder.
Rub it on the pork and place it in the slow cooker with fresh lime juice, orange juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, and vinegar.
Set it and forget it.
8 hours later, I’m telling you, you’re going to come home from work and just die over the smell.
Shred the pork and serve it up in your favorite tortillas and top it with your favorite toppings.
What slow cooker meal should I tackle next? Show Me the Yummy!
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder fat trimmed as best as possible
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt more to less to taste (I use about 1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice about 1/2 orange
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice about 1 lime
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon about 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Pineapple Salsa
- Pico de Gallo
- Corn/Flour Tortillas
- In a small bowl, whisk together spices, then stir in the oil.
- Rub half the spice mixture on one side of the pork.
- Flip over and rub the rest of the spice mixture on the other side.
- Whisk together the orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, soy sauce, and vinegar.
- Grease a crockpot and pour in half of the juice mixture.
- Place the pork in the crockpot and pour the rest of the juice over the top.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Shred pork using two forks.
- Serve and enjoy!