This Slow Cooker Lo Mein Recipe is quicker, easier, healthier, and dare I say . . . TASTIER than the traditional take out classic! Loaded with chicken, veggies, noodles, and the most delicious sauce, this healthy-ISH dinner comes together in minutes and will surely satisfy that Chinese take out craving!
If you like this Asian inspired slow cooker recipe, be sure to check out these other favorites: slow cooker thai chicken soup, slow cooker teriyaki chicken, slow cooker kung pao chicken, crockpot orange chicken. Can you tell I love my crockpot?!
Sometimes recipes work really well the first time you test them.
Today’s slow cooker lo mein fell into the “third times the charm” category. 😉
But I gotta say.
It was TOTALLY worth it.
This recipe is not only insanely easy – it’ll probably only take you 10 minutes to prep everything depending on how quick your veggie choppin’ skills are – it’s seriously SO delicious. And while I NEVER feel guilty about eating Chinese take-out, I do, however, feel MUCH better about serving this healthier version for dinner.
Obviously this recipe is not “traditional” Chinese food. Ahem – we ARE using a crockpot here – but hey! If it tastes delicious, is healthier, and it makes this recipe super quick and easy . . . who cares?!
There are three parts to this slow cooker lo mein recipe:
- The sauce
- The meat and veggies
- The noodles
What’s in a lo mein sauce?
If you cook Asian inspired food at all, you’ll definitely have all the ingredients on hand. Today, we’re using soy sauce, seasoned rice vinegar, hoisin, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, garlic powder, ground ginger, and black pepper.
I dare you to not drink this with a straw. 😉
What are the best meat and vegetables for lo mein?
Personally, I LOVE chicken and vegetable lo mein. But if you like beef, I’d highly recommend this flank steak lo mein. For today’s slow cooker lo mein, I’d recommend sticking with chicken, broccoli, carrots, red bell pepper, and mushrooms! That being said, feel free to play around with YOUR favorite veggies.
What kind of noodles are used in lo mein?
Traditionally? Lo mein egg noodles. 😉 Today? Whole wheat spaghetti. Why? Because
- I can NEVER easily find lo mein noodles at my local grocery store.
If YOU can? Go for it! Use whatever noodles you like really. I prefer whole wheat spaghetti for texture, health reasons, and flavor. 🙂
So . . . you ready to make some slow cooker lo mein?!
You’ll start by whisking together the sauce. Pour 1/3 into the crockpot with some boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
Let the chicken cook for about 3-4 hours on HIGH or 6-8 hours on LOW while you’re at work.
Then, you’ll stir in all the veggies and 1/3 more sauce, and let the veggies cook on HIGH with the chicken for an additional hour.
After that, you’ll stir in the cooked noodles of choice with the remaining sauce. Your chicken will probably break down just by stirring, but if needed, use two forks (or a knife) to help chunk the chicken.
I LOVE the combination of tender chicken and veggies, chewy noodles, and don’t even get me started on that flavor bomb of a sauce.
Add this slow cooker lo mein to your easy weeknight, healthy-ISH dinner rotation . . .
You won’t be sorry. 😉
Slow Cooker Lo Mein
Equipment for this recipe
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce less if you don’t like spicy
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 head broccoli stems removed and discarded, florets roughly chopped
- 1-2 carrots julienned
- 1-2 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 (4 oz) package sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 pound spaghetti cooked separately according to package directions
- Sesame seeds, green onions, cilantro for garnish
- Whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, hoisin, oil, chili garlic sauce, garlic powder, ginger, and black pepper.
- Pour 1/3 into a greased crockpot.
- Add in chicken and cover.
- Cook on HIGH 3-4 hours or LOW 6-8 hours.
- Stir in 1/3 more sauce and all the veggies: broccoli, carrots, red bell pepper, mushrooms.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
- Shred chicken.
- Stir in remaining sauce and cooked pasta.
- Taste and re-season, if necessary.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.