This Crockpot Ranch Chicken is a crowd favorite! Chicken is slow cooked until tender in a rich and flavorful cream sauce. This 6 ingredient recipe is the best easy comfort food dinner!
This crockpot ranch chicken is my new favorite dinner (we’re talking 6 ingredients, folks, what mother doesn’t love that?!). This is also my daughter’s new favorite dinner. And Trevor’s. The neighbors went nuts for this — do you see a pattern emerging here?
You’re only 6 ingredients away from the most flavorful comfort food!
- Heavy Cream – the base for the cream sauce. Replace with half-and-half or milk of choice, in a pinch, but the sauce won’t be as creamy and you may have to whisk in additional cornstarch to thicken.
- Cornstarch – whisked into the heavy cream to thicken the sauce. You can try replacing with flour, but you’ll likely need to add 4 tablespoons instead of the 2 tablespoons listed.
- Chicken Breast – boneless, skinless chicken breasts are perfect for this recipe. The chicken soaks up all the flavors as it sits in the sauce and becomes fall apart tender!
- Ranch Seasoning – use a store-bought packet of Ranch Seasoning Salad Dressing & Recipe Mix to keep this easy. Feeling ambitious? Whip up your own ranch seasoning blend! Personally, I prefer the flavor of the store-bought kind.
- Unsalted Butter – melts over the chicken to add moisture and a rich, buttery flavor.
- Cream Cheese – adds a slightly tangy flavor to the rich and flavorful cream sauce while also providing an ultra creamy texture.
How to make
This crockpot ranch chicken recipe takes 10 minutes to prep making it perfect for busy week nights!
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and heavy cream then pour into a greased crockpot.
- Add in chicken breasts then top with ranch seasoning, cubed butter, and cream cheese.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or HIGH for 2-3 hours then remove the chicken from the crockpot and cut it into cubes.
- Use a whisk to whisk the cream sauce in the crockpot until smooth then add the chicken back in before serving over rice or mashed potatoes.
Can you use frozen chicken?
It’s not recommended to cook chicken in a crockpot because it takes too long to come to a safe temperature. In that period of time, bacteria can grow on the chicken making it unsafe to eat.
If all you have is frozen chicken, thaw it first before proceeding with the recipe.
How to quickly thaw frozen chicken
The most ideal way to thaw frozen chicken is to stick it in the fridge and let it thaw slowly. This usually takes about 24 hours.
If you don’t have time for that, place the package of frozen chicken in a bowl of cold water under the faucet and let water run over it until the chicken is thawed, about 1-2 hours.
What to serve with ranch chicken
How to store
Leftover ranch chicken will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then microwave or heat on the stove until warmed through.
Crockpot Ranch Chicken
Equipment for this recipe
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (1 oz) packet Ranch Seasoning, Salad Dressing & Recipe Mix
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter cubed
- 1 (8 oz) block cream cheese cubed
- Grease a 6 quart crockpot with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk cornstarch and heavy cream together until well combined.
- Pour into prepared crockpot.
- Place chicken breasts on top.
- Sprinkle the chicken breasts with the ranch seasoning.
- Top chicken breasts with cubed butter and cream cheese.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or HIGH for 2-3 hours, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from crockpot. Set aside.
- Use a whisk to whisk together the cream sauce until smooth.
- Cube chicken breasts, then stir back into the crockpot.
- Serve over rice, mashed potatoes, etc. and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.