Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes. Yukon gold potatoes cooked in broth, then drained and mixed with buttermilk, butter, cream cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese, and spices: salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Only 12 minutes required! Quick. Easy. Fluffy. Delicious!
I know you guys are with me. 😉
I love ALL Thanksgiving side dishes, but if I HAD to pick only one to eat for the rest of my life, I’d probably have to go with mashed potatoes. Trevor on the other hand lives for slow cooker corn pudding.
What’s better than ultra fluffy. Super creamy. Carb-i-licious (yes that’s a word) mashed potatoes.
I’m telling you.
We’re making mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot.
I’m not gonna lie.
These instant pot mashed potatoes *might* just be my new favorite way to make mashed potatoes.
What goes in homemade mashed potatoes?
- Yukon gold potatoes
- Broth (vegetable or chicken)
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
That’s it! These mashed potatoes have a short ingredient list, but they’re PACKED with flavor.
Which are the best potatoes to use for mashed potatoes?
I personally think yukon gold potatoes are best. Russet potatoes are great, too, but for this recipe I’d recommend yukon gold!
How long do I cook mashed potatoes in the instant pot?
These instant pot mashed potatoes cook for 12 minutes! Quick AND a short ingredient list? Yes please!
They’re very quick.
How do I make mashed potatoes in the instant pot?
- Place 2 pounds peeled and quartered yukon gold potatoes into the instant pot with 4 cups broth. You can use chicken broth or vegetable broth.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 12 minutes, then do a quick release.
- Drain the liquid from the instant pot.
- To the cooked potatoes, add in buttermilk, butter, cream cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Mash the potatoes using a potato masher OR a whisk (which is what I prefer using, because I don’t have a potato masher). See video above or below in the recipe for visual.
- Serve and enjoy!
Can I make these instant pot mashed potatoes for a crowd?
Yes! The recipe as written will serve about 8 people… probably more if you’re serving these at a huge meal like Thanksgiving. If you’re looking to make more, I *think* you could still cook them for 12 minutes.
I think doubling the cooking broth (8 cups) will fill the instant pot TOO much (there’s a max fill line + it would probably take forever to come to pressure with all that liquid). I’d keep the cooking liquid at 4 cups, but double the rest of the ingredients.
All that said, I haven’t tried doubling the recipe, so I can’t guarantee the results.
If YOU give it a try, let me know in the comments below!
I absolutely LOVE how tender the potatoes get from the instant pot. Fluffy potatoes + tangy buttermilk, cream cheese, sour cream, sharp parmesan, and spices . . .
Who else is drooling?!
Do you like your mashed potatoes creamy or lumpy? I like them both ways, ha! Show Me the Yummy!
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 2 pounds yukon gold potatoes peeled and quartered
- 4 cups broth chicken or vegetable
- 1/4 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter cubed and brought to room temperature
- 1 (4 oz) package cream cheese cubed and brought to room temperature
- 1 (4 oz) tub sour cream room temperature
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place potatoes and broth into your instant pot.
- Cover and lock the lid (make sure the steam releasing handle is pointing to sealing).
- Cook using the manual button (set to high pressure) and adjust timer on the Instant Pot to 12 minutes.
- The Instant Pot will beep when it's finished.
- Flip the valve to "venting" for a quick release.
- Remove lid and drain the liquid from the potatoes.
- To the drained potatoes, add in buttermilk, butter, cream cheese, sour cream, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Mash, using a potato mashed or whisk, until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.