This Pear and Blue Cheese Salad with Candied Pecans is everything you could ask for in a salad. Crispy romaine paired perfectly with fresh, juicy pear, creamy blue cheese, sweet and crunchy pecans, and a fresh, tangy red wine vinaigrette dressing.
This salad is truly light and delicious. It’s quick to throw together and amazing as a stand-alone meal or side salad. I love to whip up a single serving of this salad and have it for lunch but I also love to make it in bulk and bring it to get-togethers with friends and family—where it’s always a hit! You really can’t go wrong. This flavor combo is to die for!
- Romaine Lettuce – the base for the salad. Romaine lettuce is highly suggested for this recipe for the crisp texture and mild flavor.
- Pear – gives texture and adds fruitiness.
- Blue Cheese – provides a creamy texture and powerful earthy flavor to offset the sweetness of the other components. Don’t like blue cheese? Use feta instead!
- Candied Pecans – adds a crunch and a sweetness to each bite.
- Red Wine Vinaigrette – a salty, tangy dressing perfect for rounding out this recipe.
How to make pear and blue cheese salad with candied pecans
This salad is seriously SO easy to make and so delicious! And the best part is, you can customize it just for you. Add more of your favorite ingredient, play around with ratios, add avocado (which is delicious, by the way), etc. The sky is the limit!
- Load a plate up with fresh romaine lettuce.
- Dress with cut pear, crumbled blue cheese, candied pecans, and red wine vinaigrette.
That’s all, folks. Literally just two steps and you’ve created a light and delicious meal or an amazing side salad.
How to make candied pecans
In a large bowl, use a hand-mixer to whisk together egg whites, water, and vanilla until frothy. Add in pecans and mix, then pour pecan/egg white mixture into a ziploc baggie with sugar and spices and shake until evenly coated. It’s that easy!
For full directions, check out my Candied Pecans recipe!
How to make red wine vinaigrette
Use a whisk to mix together olive oil, red wine, vinegar, sugar, dijon mustard, garlic, and salt. Chill in the fridge. So simple!
For full directions, check out my Easy Red Wine Vinaigrette recipe!
Recipes to pair with this salad
This salad is SUPER yummy just on its own, but I also love to pair it with a hot soup, a classic sandwich, or really any dinner that you’re looking to bulk up with a side!
Here are some of my favorites:
How to store
Store all the components separately in the fridge to avoid sogginess. Follow the expiration date listed on the pear, blue cheese, and romaine lettuce. The candied pecans will last in the fridge for weeks and same with the dressing!
There are so many textures and flavors going on in this salad. I mean, what more could you want?
Pear and Blue Cheese Salad with Candied Pecans
- I don't list specific measurements, because I typically serve this "serve yourself" style. Whip up a batch of candied pecans and red wine vinaigrette then set out some chopped romaine, chopped pears, and crumbled blue cheese. Let people build their own salad in a bowl!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
This post was originally published November 20, 2014. It has been updated to provide new photos, video, and more detailed information.