This Crockpot Mashed Potatoes Recipe makes a great addition to your Thanksgiving or holiday meal. It’s loaded with seasonings, cream cheese, and sour cream for creamy, fluffy, and delicious potatoes!
This crockpot mashed potatoes recipe is a one-pot, delicious, creamy wonder. And you KNOW how much I love those. PLUS, one-pot means these potatoes are perfect for Thanksgiving when you already have a million other dirty dishes to take care of.
I prefer my mashed potatoes extra creamy and smooth but Trevor prefers his a little chunkier. The great thing about homemade mashed potatoes is you can make them just the way you like them!
Can potatoes be cooked in a slow cooker?
YES. They can! Along with making mashed potatoes in the instant pot, the crockpot is one of my FAVORITE ways to make mashed potatoes. Why? Because the potatoes are prepped, cooked, AND served in the same vessel. Which means fewer dishes!
Since the potatoes are cooked low and slow in broth, they soak up a ton of flavor which means a perfectly tender and delicious end result.
Plus, it’s super easy. Just peel, cube, cook with liquids and seasonings, and mash! Then, of course, dig in!
Feel free to play around with the spices and mix ins for these potatoes. For best results, stick to using Yukon Gold potatoes!
- Potatoes – use Yukon Gold potatoes because, when mashed, they are extra fluffy and creamy. Russets can be used, but they tend to be a little more watery, so the end results may not be quite as fluffy and delicious.
- Broth – adds flavor and thin out the potatoes just enough to make them super creamy!
- Garlic – gives the potatoes a rounded, nutty flavor.
- Salt and Pepper – brings out the flavor of the other ingredients and adds just a bit of spice.
- Dried Rosemary and Thyme – add a woodsy, herbaceous tone and flavor. These are my secrets to give potatoes a little something extra. Feel free to omit if you’re looking for a more classic flavor.
- Butter – smooths out the mashed potatoes and gives that classic buttery flavor.
- Cream Cheese, Parmesan Cheese, and Sour Cream – work together to make these potatoes THE ABSOLUTE CREAMIEST. The cream cheese and sour cream adds a bit of tang and the parmesan adds a cheesy, salty flavor.
How to make crockpot mashed potatoes
I LOVE how little prep time is involved in this recipe, especially on Thanksgiving when I have tons of other dishes to think about! Quick, easy, no oven space required, and only one dish used for cooking and serving? Score!
- Place potatoes, broth, garlic, spices, and butter into your crockpot. Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Stir in cream cheese, parmesan, and sour cream.
- Use a hand mixer or potato masher to mash everything together, then serve and enjoy!
What potatoes to use
Yukon Gold potatoes are the best potatoes to use for crockpot mashed potatoes.These are a starchier variety of potato which results in fluffier and smoother mashed potatoes.
Other types of potatoes like red or russet can be used, but they may need more mashing to get as creamy which can cause the mashed potatoes to have more of a thick, pasty consistency.
What to serve with crockpot mashed potatoes
These crockpot mashed potatoes are PERFECT for Thanksgiving or any holiday meal. Serve them next to your protein of choice, a few other side dishes, and a fresh, crunchy salad. Don’t forget dessert!
- crockpot ham or turkey
- creamy corn casserole
- sausage stuffing
- green bean casserole
- pear, blue cheese, and candied pecan salad
- mini pumpkin pies
Can i make my crockpot mashed potatoes ahead of time?
These mashed potatoes can definitely be made ahead of time! Follow the recipe as written, then wait for the potatoes to come to room temperature before storing them in an airtight container for 1-2 days.
To reheat: place potatoes back in the crockpot, place on the lid, and cook on LOW for three hours or until heated through.
You may also warm these in the oven or even in the microwave.
How to store
These fully cooked and cooled crockpot mashed potatoes can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Any longer and the potatoes may start to dry out.
To reheat, pop them in the microwave until warm or in the crockpot for roughly 3 hours or until heated through.
Crockpot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
Equipment for this recipe
- 4 pounds yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1 in cubes
- 2 cups broth chicken or vegetable
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cut into cubes (1/2 cup = 1 stick)
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese cubed and room temperature
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 (8 oz) tub Sour cream room temperature
- Grease crockpot with cooking spray.
- Place potatoes, broth, garlic, spices, and butter into the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Once the potatoes are done, stir in cream cheese, parmesan, and sour cream.
- Use a hand mixer to blend potatoes until desired texture has been reached!
- Re-season, if necessary.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
This post was originally published November 6, 2016 and has been updated to provide more detailed content.