This crockpot mashed potatoes recipe is SO easy & full of rosemary, thyme, cream cheese, parmesan, & sour cream! A great addition to your Thanksgiving meal.
These Crockpot Mashed Potatoes are one of our most popular recipes (originally posted November 11, 2015), so I’ve updated it to include a how-to video! Enjoy!
Remember yesterday when I told you guys that Thanksgiving food, to me, means carbs? I changed my mind. Thanksgiving, to me, now means stuffing my face with this Crockpot Mashed Potatoes Recipe.
I would like to think of myself as a potato connoisseur. I’ve certainly eaten enough potatoes.
Mash ’em. Bake ’em. Fry ’em.
Gimme. Gimme. Gimme.
While I do love all potato preparations equally, mashed might slowly be taking the lead.
This Crockpot Mashed Potatoes Recipe, in particular, is so freakin’ delicious because:
- It’s made in the crockpot and you guys know by now that I’m seriously obsessed. Slow cooker recipes > non slow cooker recipes. 😉
- It has spices like rosemary and thyme which screeeeeam cozy and delicious.
- It contains ingredients like butter, cream cheese, parmesan, and sour cream.
Somebody hold me.
I love that there are only 3 steps to this recipe.
First things first:
Can potatoes be cooked in a slow cooker?
Yes! Potatoes can be cooked in a slow cooker. I get this questions all the time.
Other than making mashed potatoes in the instant pot, crockpot mashed potatoes is my FAVORITE way to make potatoes.
All you need to do is peel and cube potatoes, add in a few more ingredients (listed below), then you’ll cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4.
How to make the ultimate slow cooker mashed potatoes:
- Throw everything into your crockpot: peeled and cut potatoes, broth, garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and butter.
- Cook for a few hours. This is one of those amazing recipes that you can throw the ingredients in and then forget about them until it’s done cooking.
- Throw more ingredients in: cream cheese, parmesan cheese, sour cream (aka the trifecta of thanksgiving yums), whisk using a hand mixer, and d.e.v.o.u.r.
How easy was that?!
I just love how easy this crockpot mashed potatoes recipe is and BONUS did you catch that I used a hand mixer to mix these together right in the crockpot?!
This is a one pot wonder and you know how much I love those. PLUS, that means these potatoes are perfect for Thanksgiving when you already have a bajillion other dirty dishes.
Now, I prefer these crockpot mashed potatoes ultra creamy and smooth, so I mix these a little longer. Trevor, on the other hand, prefers these a little chunkier, so the choice is yours! These are truly great smooth or chunky.
One tip: while I do enjoy really smooth mashed potatoes, don’t over mix them! Over mixing your potatoes can make them really sticky and gross.
Can I make my crockpot mashed potatoes recipe ahead of time? What is the best way to reheat mashed potatoes?
Yes! You can absolutely make mashed potatoes ahead of time, about 2 days ahead of time.
Make them as directed, store them in the fridge, then reheat in your crockpot! I’m guessing 2-4 hours on low will reheat these perfectly!
These crockpot mashed potatoes will definitely make the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving meal!
They’re so creamy and buttery.
I absolutely love the addition of rosemary and thyme. And really…you can’t go wrong when cream cheese, parmesan, AND sour cream are involved.
Smooth mashed potatoes or chunky potatoes? Show me the yummy!
Need more holiday recipes? Be sure to check out all our Easy Thanksgiving Recipes!
- 4 pounds yukon gold potatoes peeled and cut into 1 in cubes
- 2 cups broth chicken or vegetable
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese cubed and room temperature
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 (8 oz) tub Sour cream room temperature
- Grease crockpot with cooking spray.
- Place potatoes, broth, garlic, spices, and butter into the crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Once the potatoes are done, stir in cream cheese, parmesan, and sour cream.
- Use a hand mixer to blend potatoes until desired texture has been reached!
- Re-season, if necessary.
- Serve and enjoy!