This best ever sausage stuffing is salty from the sausage, crunchy from the bread cubes, sweet and tart from the red delicious apples! Move over turkey, this best ever stuffing is ready to take the main stage!
This Best Ever Sausage Stuffing is one of our most popular recipes (originally posted November 13, 2014), so I’ve updated it to include a how-to video! Enjoy!
I know there are a TON of Thanksgiving recipes floating around the food blogging world right now, but believe me when I say that this best ever sausage stuffing will convert even the strongest of stuffing haters.
I know this, because I was a TOTAL stuffing hater, until I tried my mother-in-law’s recipe.
When I think of stuffing, I think of that gloopy stuff that’s smothered in turkey fat with soggy bread, and has absolutely no texture to it whatsoever.
Is that just me?
This stuffing, however, is full of sautéed pork and onions and mixed with bread cubes, sweet raisins, tart apples, earthy mushrooms, and crunchy celery!
It’s got tons of great surprises that just keep on comin!
I know you’re going to love the flavors and texture’s of this stuffing, pinky promise 🙂
The first time I had this stuffing was when Trevor and I first started dating and he invited me over to have Thanksgiving with his mom.
I went over to Trevor’s house for our first Thanksgiving together and it was… well… weird!
I grew up with my own family traditions, so it was very different experiencing someone else’s.
It really did convert me to a stuffing lover!
How do you make Italian sausage stuffing?
- Cook sausage (we’ve used everything from sweet italian sausage, to sage flavored sausage, to hot italian sausage for a kick!) and onion together in a sauté pan, until the sausage is cooked through.
- Place the cooked meat and onions into a very large bowl.
- To the bowl, add in Pepperidge Farm Cubed Herb Seasoned Stuffing, raisins, apple, celery, mushrooms, butter, chicken broth, dried sage, salt, and pepper.
- Stir until well combined.
- Taste and re-season, if necessary.
- Pour into an oven safe baking dish.
- Bake until warmed through.
- Serve and enjoy!
How do I cook sausage stuffing outside the turkey?
You’ll cook the sausage and onions on the stovetop, mix everything together in a large bowl (as listed above), and then heat it through in the oven.
Experts are actually saying now that you should NEVER cook stuffing inside the turkey for food safety issues.
So, how long do you cook sausage stuffing in the oven?
350 degrees F for about 30 minutes!
The best part of this whole dish (outside of that fact that it’s really super delicious) is that you can warm this up in the oven, or if you don’t have room, just place the stuffing in a microwave safe dish and microwave until hot!
It’s salty from the sausage, crunchy from the bread cubes, sweet and tart from the red delicious apples, fresh from the celery, earthy from the mushrooms, and over the top creamy from that whole stick of butter.
Move over turkey, this best ever stuffing is ready to take the main stage!
Do you still follow the traditions you did going up or do you have some of your own now? Show me the yummy!
Best Ever Sausage Stuffing
- 1 (16 oz) package pork sausage sage, sweet italian, or hot are all good
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 1 (12 oz) bag Pepperidge Farm Cubed Herb Seasoned Stuffing
- 1 (1 oz) box raisins
- 1-2 large red delicious apples chopped
- 2 cups celery finely chopped
- 1 (8 oz) package mushrooms diced
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter melted
- 1 (14 oz) can chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper more or less to taste
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Once hot, add in sausage and onions.
- Cook, breaking up the meat up as you go, until the sausage has cooked through and the onions are tender. Drain, if necessary.
- In a large bowl place meat and onion mixture, bread cubes, raisins, apple, celery, mushrooms, butter, broth, sage, salt, and pepper.
- Stir until combined.
- Re-taste and re-season, if necessary.
- Transfer mixture to an oven or microwave safe container and heat through.
- If cooking in the oven: preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and cook in preheated oven until warmed through, about 30 minutes.*
*Note: Nutritional information is estimated and varies based on products used.