These instant pot turkey tacos are the perfect, healthy Taco Tuesday recipe. They are full of extra lean ground turkey and loaded with veggies. Quick, easy, and packed with flavor, they’re sure to be a hit!
I LOVE Taco Tuesday. It’s my favorite day of the week! I’m a big fan of tacos and I love to experiment with different ways to make them. Usually, I go into recipe testing with the goal of making them as easy as possible. With these instant pot turkey tacos, I’ve definitely succeeded! All you have to do is put the ingredients into your instant pot…That’s it. So easy! Plus they taste SO good. #win
The great thing about tacos is that you can basically use whatever ingredients you have available. We’ve done a sweet potato taco recipe, a ground beef taco recipe, and even supreme pizza tacos! Today we’re using turkey.
- Olive Oil – adds a nice, full-bodied flavor while helping to cook the other ingredients.
- Carrot, Celery, and Red Onion – add both flavor and texture to the tacos. This trio is a classic base for tons of recipes.
- Mushrooms – act as sponges, soaking up the flavors around them and creating more texture within the taco.
- Garlic – gives the taco filling even more flavor with that nutty garlic flavor we all know and love.
- Turkey – the perfect lean protein to make these tacos healthy and delicious.
- Taco Seasoning – gives that traditional flavor used in lots of Mexican dishes.
- Tomatoes – add texture to the filling with a little bit of sweetness.
- Red Bell Pepper – gives the tacos some crunch.
- Water – thins out the filling.
- Salt and Pepper – salt brings out the flavors of the other ingredients while pepper adds a bit of spice.
- Lime Juice (optional) – adds brightness.
- Sour Cream (optional) – adds a creamy texture along with its sharp, tangy taste.
- Cheese (optional) – a classic on tacos!
How to make instant pot turkey tacos
Cooking with an instant pot is SO quick and easy. Think: the ease of a slow cooker, but everything cooks super fast instead of cooking slow all day. This weeknight meal is not only quick and easy, but also tastes great as well!
- Sauté onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms, garlic, and turkey with oil in your Instant Pot.
- Add in the rest of your ingredients.
- Cook then serve with your favorite taco fixings!
That’s it! Only three steps and you’ve created the most delicious Taco Tuesday dinner ever.
How to make taco seasoning
You can buy taco seasoning packets, but homemade taco seasoning is actually super easy to make yourself and even more tasty. I always use my Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe to season all of my taco and taco-related meals and it’s DELICIOUS! Sometimes I’ll even double or triple the original recipe so that it lasts longer. I store the extra seasoning mix either in an airtight container or in a ziploc baggie so I don’t have to remake it every time I need it.
What to serve with tacos
I love creating a mini taco bar and serving them with all my favorite taco fixings:
- Tortillas – crunchy, soft, corn, flour . . . you name it, it’ll be delicious!
- Sour cream
- Lime juice
- Salsa – store-bought or homemade salsa is great!
- Pico de gallo
- Black beans
Another thing I love to do is spice up my meal with this Easy Margarita Recipe. 😉 What are YOUR favorite taco fixings and side dishes? Let me know in the comments below!
Don’t have an instant pot?
If you don’t have an instant pot, no problem! Check out my stovetop Turkey Tacos Recipe. They’re equally as delicious and perfect for those who aren’t ready to invest in another kitchen tool.
How to store your turkey tacos
Turkey tacos are great served immediately and make even better leftovers!
Store cooked and cooled leftover taco meat in a sealed airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 3-4 months. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave until warm!
How do you eat leftover taco meat?
Bored of tacos? Try turning the leftovers into something new!
- Burrito bowls: rice, beans, corn, pico de gallo, shredded lettuce, etc.
- Taquitos: use my air fryer chicken taquito recipe as a guideline, but use the ground turkey meat instead of the chicken
- Taco pizza: use leftover taco meat instead of the ground beef mixture in my favorite taco pizza recipe!
- Quesadillas: tortillas, cheese, leftover meat . . . sold!
What would YOU make with leftovers?
Instant Pot Turkey Tacos
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 8 oz mushrooms diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 6-9 tbsp homemade taco seasoning* or 2 - 3 (1.25 oz) packets
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- garnish with lime juice, sour cream, cheese, tortillas, etc.
- Press the sauté button on your instant pot.
- Once it reads "HOT", add in oil, red onion, carrots, celery, mushrooms, garlic, and ground turkey.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until the veggies start to get tender and the turkey is cooked. Break up the turkey as you go, but don't break it up too much or you'll lose texture.
- Drain the liquid.
- Add in taco seasoning, tomatoes, bell pepper, and water.
- Seal the lid (making sure the valve is pointed to sealing) and cook under high pressure for 15 minutes.**
- Turn the knob to quick release.
- Serve with a slotted spoon (there WILL be a lot of liquid, but it keeps the turkey moist.)
- Serve with all your favorite taco fixings!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.