This Easy Black Beans Recipe is gluten free, super tasty, has a short ingredient list, and can easily be made vegetarian or vegan!
You guys. Are you ready for the easiest, tastiest, most fantastic recipe ever?!
Yes? Great! Because today, I have an Easy Black Beans Recipe that totally fits the bill.
These black beans are creamy, slightly spicy, and are deeelish on their own, but also make a super yummy chip dip.
I know this because I’ve, um, “recipe tested” this Easy Black Beans Recipe at least 4 times now.
I can’t get enough… I’ve tried this as a side dish with rice, as a cold dip for chips, as a hot dip for chips, smothered over nachos, and I seriously need to try these in a quesadilla.
Yes. I’m officially obsessed with black beans.
Yes. I’m obsessed and I’m not ashamed to say it. This obsession isn’t anything new, though.
If you’ve been following along long, you know how crazy I am about Friday night Mexican night.
Trevor and I literally go to the same restaurant every Friday.
We have our routine: Walk to the restaurant around 7 PM, immediately sit down (usually our margaritas are already there waiting for us…yes, that’s how much we go there), have the best chips and salsa, and demolish a side of bean dip.
Lately, however, Trevor and I are trying to cut back how much we go out to eat.
I mean, it’s not like we don’t have plenty of food here…hellllooo! But since we’ve been cutting back, I’ve seriously been missing our Friday night Mexican night beans.
And it was about darn time that I made some Mexican black beans at home!
This easy black beans recipe has a short ingredient list, requires little effort to put together…seriously…did you watch the video above? Zero. Energy. Required.
How do you make black beans?
- Chop onion
- Mince garlic (I love using this garlic press)
- Heat oil in a saucepan
- Saute onions
- Add in garlic, cayenne, cumin, and oregano
- Stir in black beans and broth
- Stir in lime juice
- Serve! I love serving this with cotija and cilantro, but feel free to omit the cotija if you’re vegan!
What do you eat easy black beans with?
I could eat these black beans with just rice and call it a day, but you could also serve these in a variety of different ways:
- Make them into bean and cheese quesadillas
- Stuff them into enchiladas
- Eat them as tacos with shredded lettuce and pico de gallo
- Serve them as burrito bowls with lettuce, brown rice, corn, pico de gallo
- Make them into nachos
What would YOU eat these black beans with?
Haaaaaappy Hump Day!
What’s your favorite “easy” recipe? Show me the yummy!
Easy Black Beans Recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup broth chicken or vegetable
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- shredded cotija optional for topping
- finely minced cilantro optional for topping
- Heat saucepan over medium heat and add in oil.
- Add in onions and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add in garlic, cayenne, cumin, and oregano and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in black beans and chicken broth.
- Stirring regularly, bring to simmer and simmer for 10 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated (the beans will thicken more as they cool).
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with cilantro and cotija.
Vegan? Use vegetable broth and skip the cotija!
*Note: Nutritional information is estimated and varies based on products used.