These Supreme Pizza Tacos are the perfect pizza/taco mash up. Hard shell tacos are stuffed with italian sausage, veggies, beans, pizza sauce, taco sauce, and cheese!
If you’re a fan of my taco pizza aka pizza that tastes like tacos, then you’ll LOVE these supreme pizza tacos aka tacos that taste like pizza.
Take all your favorite taco flavors, all your favorite pizza flavors and mush them together to make the BEST supreme pizza tacos.
- Hard shell tacos. I highly recommend the “stand and stuff” hard shell tacos, because they’re WAY easier to use than regular hard shell tacos that fall over when you try to fill them.
- Italian sausage instead of ground beef helps to give these tacos a classic pizza flavor.
- Green bell pepper and onion are both often found on supreme pizza.
- Spices: basil, oregano, salt all help to enhance the pizza flavor.
- Refried beans, pizza sauce, and taco sauce are combined to make the BEST taco/pizza mash up sauce.
- Cheese. A classic on both pizza and tacos, you can’t go wrong with it!
I love topping these with shredded lettuce, pico de gallo, sour cream, and other fun pizza toppings like pepperoni, olives, and mushrooms.
How to make supreme pizza tacos
Because these are so quick and easy, they make the perfect weeknight dinner the whole family will love.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Once hot, add in sausage, pepper, onion, basil, oregano, and salt. Cook until sausage is cooked through and veggies are tender.
- Stir in beans, pizza sauce, and taco sauce. Simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Sprinkle the bottom of the inside of the shell with cheese.
- Fill shells with filling.
- Top with more cheese.
- Broil until cheese has melted. Serve with toppings and enjoy!
Tips & tricks
These tacos couldn’t get easier, but here are a few tricks for success!
- Make the filling in advance if you’re pressed for time! Store in the fridge and warm slightly before stuffing the tacos.
- Pre-bake the taco shells according to package directions. This helps prevent a soggy bottomed taco.
- Make a “cheese barrier” to prevent a soggy taco. Sprinkling the bottom of the taco with cheese creates a layer between the taco shell and the filling.
How to store
These are best served immediately, because the taco shells get soggy and chewy in the fridge. If you’re not going to eat all 12 tacos, only bake and assemble as many tacos as you’re going to eat. Keep the remaining unbaked taco shells at room temperature in a ziplock baggie and store the cooked filling in a sealed airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Bake according to directions.
What to serve with pizza tacos
I like to serve these pizza tacos with Mexican inspired side dishes.
- Guacamole – serve with chips
- Pico de gallo – serve with chips
- Easy black beans
- Mexican rice
- Chili lime vinaigrette – make a leafy green salad with this dressing!
Supreme Pizza Tacos
Equipment for this recipe
- 12 stand and stuff hard shell tacos
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt to taste
- 1 cup canned refried beans
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup taco sauce
- 16 oz bag shredded colby jack cheese more or less to taste
- Bake taco shells according to package directions on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Once hot, add in sausage, pepper, onion, basil, oregano, and salt.
- Cook, breaking up the sausage as you go, until sausage is cooked through and veggies are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in beans, pizza sauce, and taco sauce.
- Simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Taste and re-season, if necessary. Set aside, but keep warm.
- Pre-heat the broiler and stand the tacos up on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the bottoms of the inside of the shells with cheese (about 1 tablespoon each).
- Fill shells with filling, then top with remaining cheese.
- Broil until cheese has melted - this happens quickly, so keep an eye on them!
- Serve with toppings and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.