This Easy Queso Dip Recipe is a lightened up version of everyone’s favorite cheesy snack! Creamy Greek yogurt with melted sharp cheddar cheese and delicious seasonings.This dip is SO GOOD!
I always associate queso with the super bowl. I remember growing up, my family would spend the day with family and friends watching the game…while I was in the kitchen eating all the cheese dip. Except that cheese dip was a highly processed one…although I still do love the processed cheese, it’s not something I want to be eating all the time.
This easy queso dip is now my go-to super bowl snack. We’re keeping all that gooey, cheesy goodness but instead using real, natural ingredients!
This easy queso dip is warm, gooey, and ridiculously addicting but significantly lightened up! Winning!
- Unsalted Butter – adds that warm, buttery flavor.
- Cornstarch – helps to thicken the dip.
- Evaporated Skim Milk – you can also use evaporated whole milk.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese – shred your own! It melts better.
- Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt – adds a tangy flavor and extra creamy texture.
- Chili Powder, Cumin, and Salt – the perfect seasoning blend for tons of flavor.
- Pico de Gallo and Tortilla Chips – for serving!
I highly recommend shredding your own cheese. It melts much better than pre-shredded!
How to make
- Melt butter in a large saucepan then whisk in cornstarch.
- Stir in evaporated milk then cheese, half at a time.
- Mix in Greek yogurt and seasonings then serve with pico de gallo and enjoy with chips!
What’s the best cheese to use for queso?
I use sharp cheddar cheese because I love the flavor it provides.
If sharp cheddar isn’t your thing, you could also try white cheddar, colby jack, monterey jack, pepper jack, etc! Really, any cheese is good, let’s be honest. 😉
How to thicken/thin queso dip
There’s already cornstarch in this recipe to help thicken the dip, but if it’s still not thickened to your liking you could add a touch more.
If it’s too thick for you, add a splash more milk to thin it out.
- Make it spicy. Try adding green chiles, cayenne pepper, hot sauce, or diced jalapeño.
- Add meat. Spiced ground beef or chorizo would be delicious.
- Add beans. Mix in some of your favorite beans (black or pinto would be super yummy!)
- Use a different cheese. White cheddar, colby jack, montery jack, pepper jack, you name it!
- Mix in salsa. Add in some of your favorite salsa for a flavor twist.
What to serve with queso
I mix in a couple spoonfuls of my homemade pico de gallo for some added texture and flavor.
I LOVE serving this queso dip up with some guacamole chips from Food Should Taste Good or my homemade air fryer tortilla chips. It’s also delicious served on top of tacos, burritos, burrito bowls, etc. Here are some of my favorites!
How to store
Store any leftover queso in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 4-5 months. Store the queso without pico mixed in.
To enjoy again, thaw in the fridge if frozen and warm on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Easy Queso Dip Recipe
Equipment for this recipe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated skim milk
- 1 (8 oz) block sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup non fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- Food Should Taste Good Guacamole Tortilla Chips
- Pico de Gallo
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Once melted, whisk in cornstarch. Cook for one minute, stirring continually.
- While whisking, slowly pour in evaporated milk.
- Turn heat to medium-low and add in half of the cheese, stirring continually.
- After the cheese is incorporated, stir in the other half of the cheese.
- Once all the cheese has melted, stir in greek yogurt and seasonings.
- Taste and re-season, if necessary.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately with a scoop of fresh picco and chips!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
This post has been updated to provide more detailed content.