This Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip is a crowd pleasing, quick and easy, one dish appetizer! It’s loaded with tender chicken and is ultra creamy with just the right amount of spice!
I’ve never met a person who doesn’t love buffalo chicken dip. This instant pot buffalo chicken dip is extra awesome, because everything is made directly in one pot! Cook chicken with buffalo sauce in the instant pot, stir in the remaining ingredients, simmer, and serve!
This dip is the perfect combo of rich, creamy, cheesy, tangy, and spicy. Seriously, it could not get any better!
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauce – gives the dip the classic spicy “buffalo” flavor. I don’t recommend subbing with another brand.
- Chicken Breasts – cooked in the instant pot then shredded or diced to incorporate into the dip for a little bit of chicken in each bite!
- Cornstarch and Heavy Cream – whisked together to form a cornstarch slurry which helps thicken the dip.
- Cream Cheese and Sour Cream – melts into the dip for ultimate creaminess. The cream cheese adds richness while the sour cream adds a bit of tang.
- Ranch Dressing and Seasoning Mix – a tangy, sweet, creamy, and flavorful blend of seasonings to take this dip to another level.
- Monterey Jack Cheese, Cheddar Cheese, and Blue Cheese – all three of these cheeses are melted in to the dip and add slightly different flavors. Monterey jack is creamy and slightly sweet, cheddar is sharp, and blue cheese is a bit earthy and salty.
- Crackers, Chips, Carrots, Celery, etc. – for serving!
How to make
This super addicting creamy and spicy appetizer requires just 10 minutes of prep!
- Grease your instant pot with cooking spray, pour in half the hot, top with chicken breasts, then pour on remaining hot sauce. Cover and lock the lid then cook on HIGH pressure for 10 minutes.
- Do a quick release then remove the chicken and cube or shred. Hit CANCEL on the instant pot.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and heavy cream then slowly whisk that into the buffalo sauce that’s in the instant pot.
- Stir in cubed/shredded chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, ranch seasoning, and cheeses.
- Hit SAUTÉ on the instant pot and bring the dip to a simmer, stirring regularly, until the dip has thickened then serve and enjoy!
Why is my buffalo chicken dip liquid?
If your buffalo chicken dip is too runny, here are a couple of reasons as to why:
- You didn’t make a cornstarch slurry. Cornstarch is a thickening agent so the combination of heavy cream and cornstarch helps the dip reach that perfect creamy texture. If you don’t use the cornstarch, the dip will likely be much too watery.
- You didn’t simmer long enough. Simmering the dip allows excess moisture to evaporate. You should do this for about 3-5 minutes. If it’s still not thick enough, simmer a bit longer.
Can you make buffalo chicken dip in the slow cooker?
You sure can! If you’d rather use your crockpot, check out my slow cooker buffalo chicken dip recipe instead!
What to serve with buffalo chicken dip
This instant pot buffalo chicken dip is delicious on a number of different vessels!
- Veggies. Baby carrots, celery, sliced cucumber, sliced peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, snap peas, you name it!
- Crackers. I love buffalo chicken dip with triscuits, wheat thins, ritz crackers, saltines, etc.
- Chips. Try it with tortilla chips, fritos, or on pita chips!
- Bread. Slather it on toasted baguette slices.
How to store
Leftover buffalo chicken dip will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. I don’t recommend freezing it because the texture will be affected.
To enjoy again, eat straight out of the fridge or microwave to warm!
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 (12 oz) bottle Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- 4 (8 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese cubed and softened to room temperature
- 1 (8 oz) container sour cream room temperature
- 1 (1 oz) package ranch dressing and seasoning mix
- 1 (8 oz) block Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1 (8 oz) block cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese plus more for topping
- Crackers, chips, carrots, celery, etc. for serving
- Grease a 6 quart Instant Pot with cooking spray, then pour in half the hot sauce.
- Top with chicken breasts, then top with remaining hot sauce.
- Cover and lock the lid. Make sure the release valve is pointed toward SEALING.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 10 minutes.
- Do a quick release, then remove the chicken (leave the sauce in the Instant Pot) and cube or shred. Set aside.
- Hit CANCEL on the Instant Pot.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and heavy cream, then slowly whisk it into the Instant Pot.
- Stir in the cubed/shredded chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, ranch mix, Monterey Jack, cheddar, and blue cheese.
- Hit SAUTé on the Instant Pot and bring the dip to a simmer, stirring regularly.
- Simmer, stirring continuously, until the dip has thickened slightly, about 3-5 minutes (the dip will continue to thicken as it cools).
- Top with green onions and additional blue cheese, if desired, then serve with crackers, chips, carrots, celery, etc. and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.