This Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole Recipe is packed with fluffy eggs, potatoes, ham, and plenty of cheese! This quick and easy recipe is perfect for brunch.
Have you ever wanted to taste the definition of “cheesy deliciousness”?! Guess what. Now you can!
As I’ve told you before, my side of the family is super big with traditions. Thanksgiving wasn’t complete without creamy corn casserole, Fourth of July wouldn’t be the same without cream cheese salsa dip, trips to the lake would be far less enjoyable if puppy chow wasn’t involved…and I wouldn’t eat Christmas brunch if this ham and cheese breakfast casserole didn’t make an appearance. 😉
It’s the easiest, cheesiest, yummiest breakfast EVER! Plus, it’s ridiculously easy to make!
This casserole is so hearty from the ham, ultra cheesy, and so creamy.
- Eggs – binds the casserole together so it can hold its shape when baked. Also, what’s breakfast without eggs?!
- Evaporated Milk – adds a creamy texture and slightly sweet flavor to balance out the salty ham.
- Salt and Pepper – enhances other flavors and adds just a touch of spice.
- Potatoes O’Brien – use frozen Potatoes O’Brien with Onions and Pepper for the best flavor and texture. If peppers and onions aren’t your thing, feel free to use frozen diced hashbrowns instead.
- Chopped Ham – gives a smoky, salty flavor that pairs well with the creaminess of the rest of the casserole.
- Shredded Mozzarella, Cheddar, and Parmesan Cheese – our blend of cheeses. The mozzarella adds goo-iness, the cheddar adds a sharp flavor, and the parmesan adds saltiness!
- Cilantro and Green Onions – for topping, if desired!
How to make
One of the best parts about this ham and cheese breakfast casserole is it takes literally 5-10 minutes to whip up!
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, mix together together frozen potatoes, ham, and all three cheeses.
- Pour the egg mixture over the potato mixture and stir to fully combine, then transfer the mixture into a greased baking dish.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes or until the eggs are set. Let rest for 5-10 minutes then serve and enjoy!
Do you need to pre-cook the potatoes?
No, keep the potatoes uncooked and frozen! They’ll cook as the casserole bakes. Super easy and very convenient!
Can you use regular hash browns?
Feel free to use frozen diced regular hashbrowns, but I prefer the flavor and texture of Potatoes O’Brien with the onions and peppers.
Do you need to use evaporated milk?
No! Evaporated milk is creamier and sweeter than “regular” milk so that’s why I like to use it, but any kind of milk, half-and-half, or heavy cream will work just fine.
What to serve with ham and cheese breakfast casserole
This breakfast casserole is delicious on its own but feel free to serve it up brunch style with some other yummy recipes!
Can ham and cheese breakfast casserole be made ahead of time?
You can, but I don’t recommend it. This recipe is REALLY quick, easy, and best served fresh. If you’d still like to make it in advance, make the recipe as directed, bake, cool, and cover with saran wrap and foil. Store in the freezer for 1-2 months. When you’re ready to reheat, thaw in the fridge then bake to warm.
I don’t recommend making an unbaked casserole in advance, because the potatoes would thaw and potentially cause a watery end result.
How to store
Leftover ham and cheese breakfast casserole will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days or in the freezer for up to 1-2 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then bake to warm.
Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Equipment for this recipe
- 7 large eggs
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk can use 1 1/2 cups “regular” milk if you like
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (28 oz) bag Frozen Potatoes O’Brien w/ Onions & Peppers keep frozen
- 2 cups chopped ham
- 1 (8 oz) bag shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (8 oz) bag shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Green onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- In another VERY large bowl, mix together frozen potatoes (break up any clumps), ham, and the three cheeses.
- Pour egg mixture over potato mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 1 hour - 1 hour 15 minutes, or until bubbling and the eggs have set and the potatoes are tender.
- Remove from oven and let rest for about 5-10 minutes.
- Top with cilantro and green onions, if desired, serve and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
This post was originally published December 23, 2015 and has been updated to provide more detailed content.