This Biscuits and Gravy recipe couldn’t be easier or more delicious! Refrigerated biscuit dough baked to golden, flakey perfection and topped with an ultra creamy and flavorful homemade sausage gravy!
Sometimes I just crave biscuits and gravy. I absolutely LOVE this recipe because I can whip it up super fast and satisfy those cravings in no time!
Refrigerated biscuits and a super simple sausage gravy! Easiest ingredient list ever!
- Canned Biscuits – you can also make your own, but here are Show Me the Yummy (easy recipes for yummy food), we like to keep things simple. 😉 And trust me, with a flavor bomb of a sauce, canned biscuits are just fine!
- Breakfast Sausage – I use pork breakfast sausage. Use milk, medium, hot, or any other flavor!
- Butter – adds richness and creaminess to the gravy.
- Flour – helps to thicken the gravy.
- Milk – I use skim milk but feel free to use another kind.
- Black Pepper, Salt, Rosemary, and Thyme – a simple but effective way to season the gravy.
Who knew that canned biscuits plus an eight ingredient gravy could be so delicious?!
How to make
Keep this recipe semi-homemade by using store-bought biscuit dough but make the sausage gravy from scratch! Making gravy from scratch may sound intimidating, but it’s actually incredibly easy.
- Bake biscuits according to package directions then cook sausage in a large pan and remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, melt butter and whisk in flour. Cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in milk, pepper, rosemary, thyme, and salt.
- Bring the gravy to a simmer and simmer until the desired thickness is reached then stir in sausage and serve over warm biscuits!
What biscuits to use
I suggest using your favorite brand of canned biscuits like Pillsbury. You could also use frozen biscuits such as Mary B’s Buttermilk Biscuits!
If you’d like to make this recipe completely from scratch, feel free to use your favorite homemade biscuit recipe like these homemade buttermilk biscuits!
What do you serve with biscuits and gravy?
Here are some of my favorite things to serve alongside my biscuits and gravy!
- Fruit Salad
- Eggs – over-easy or sunny side up are my favorite, but scrambled would also be delicious!
- Roasted Breakfast Potatoes, Hash Browns, or Home Fries
How to store
After being baked, the biscuits will last in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Simply microwave or bake to reheat!
The sausage gravy should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 1-2 months. If frozen, thaw in fridge then microwave or heat on stovetop.
Easy Biscuits and Gravy
Equipment for this recipe
- 16.5 oz can Pillsbury Grands biscuits one package should contain 8 biscuits
- 16 oz roll breakfast sausage we like "hot"
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups milk we use skim
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- Bake biscuits according to package directions while you prepare the gravy.
- Heat a large skillet (I use a straight edged sauté pan) over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and cook, breaking it up as you go, until pork is cooked through, about 5-10 minutes.
- Transfer cooked sausage to a bowl, set aside.
- To the same pan, add butter and melt.
- Whisk the flour into melted butter and cook, whisking continuously, for about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk the milk into the pan.
- Stir in pepper, rosemary, thyme, and salt.
- Bring the gravy to a simmer while whisking regularly and simmer for 2-5 minutes, or until desired thickness is reached. Stir in the sausage.
- Taste and re-season if necessary.
- Serve with biscuits!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
This recipe was originally published December 16, 2015 and has been updated to provide more detailed content.