This Sausage Breakfast Quesadilla Recipe is healthy, easy, freezer friendly, can be made in advance, and is just overall really, awesomely delicious!
It’s no secret that breakfast is typically my least favorite meal of the day. I’d take “dinner food” over “breakfast food” any day.
Unless we’re talkin’ breakfast pizza, breakfast burritos, or yes, a sausage breakfast quesadilla. As you can see, if my breakfast has some sort of carb-y vessel, apparently I find it worthy of my breakfast time.
That’s why, today, I’m SO excited to share this Sausage Breakfast Quesadilla Recipe with you guys. Especially since. . . get ready for it. . . these can be made in advance!
Make ahead say whaaaat?!?!
These breakfast quesadillas are freezer friendly and full of good for you ingredients like whole grain tortillas, lean turkey sausage, plenty of veggies, soft scrambled eggs, and just a touch of cheese, because life is short and cheese is good.
All my breakfasts from now are are going to be healthy, make ahead, freezer friendly sausage breakfast quesadillas.
Can you blame me? 😉
This Sausage Breakfast Quesadilla Recipe is so easy and so good that I’ve actually been eating these for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner.
I know. I can hardly believe it myself.
Let me just tell you why I’m so obsessed with these sausage breakfast quesadillas.
#1: Um. I get to eat quesadillas smothered in salsa, hot sauce, and sour cream (or greek yogurt) for breakfast. Who wouldn’t love that!?
#2: I can prep these once and enjoy them outta the freezer whenever I want. A hearty breakfast that’s ready to go? Yes. Just. Yes.
#3: Three words. Jennie-O. Breakfast. Sausage. Trevor is a HUGE fan of breakfast sausage, but breakfast sausage can be so incredibly fatty. Now, Trevor gets to enjoy breakfast sausage without all the guilt! It’s super flavorful, but contains less fat than regular pork sausage. If that’s not a win-win situation, I’m not sure what is!
#4 & #5: They’re easy and delicious. ‘Nough said.
Let’s break it down. This Sausage Breakfast Quesadilla Recipe has four steps. Side note: Apparently, I’m super into lists today. I’m kinda diggin’ it.
Cook Jennie-O Lean Mild Turkey Breakfast Sausage in a large saute pan. Set aside.
Cook your veggies: onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and mushrooms. Until they’re perfectly tender. Set aside.
Scramble and cook your eggs. My secret? Cook ’em low and slow, use a rubber spatula, and remove them from the heat while they’re still a little shiny. The result? The silkiest eggs. Ever.
Assemble, cook, and freeze!
Assemble: Take one quesadilla and on half of it place, cheese, black beans, eggs (I’d suggest a little hot sauce drizzle if that’s your kind of thing), sausage, and veggies.
Cook: Fold the quesadilla in half and toast in a clean sauté pan until toasty and delicious.
Freeze: Let cool, cut in half, and wrap ’em in plastic wrap, freeze on a baking sheet until firm, and then place all the quesadilla halves in a plastic baggie until ready for use!
See?! Easy. Peasy. So. Delicious.
This Sausage Breakfast Quesadilla is extra delicious when topped with a huge dollop of greek yogurt, cilantro, hot sauce, etc.
These quesadillas are healthy, hearty, and full of lean turkey sausage, veggies, and a touch of cheese.
That’s the making of the perfect breakfast if you ask me!
Savory or sweet breakfasts? Show me the yummy!
- 1 (16 oz) tube Jennie-O Lean Mild Turkey Breakfast Sausage Roll
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper diced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms sliced (I used pre-sliced mushrooms)
- 8 large eggs whisked
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans drained, rinsed, and seasoned with salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese I used non fat
- 8 whole grain burrito sized tortillas
- Green onion
- non fat plain greek yogurt
- hot sauce
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, breaking it up as you go along, until it's no longer pink. Remove and set aside.
- Spray the same pan with cooking spray and cook onions, peppers, and mushrooms until tender. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Again, spray the same pan with cooking spray and lower heat to medium/low.
- Use a rubber spatula to cook scrambled eggs until just a little shine remains. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Place one tortilla on a clean work surface.
- On half of the tortilla, place 2 tablespoons EACH of: cheese, black beans, eggs (drizzle with a little hot sauce if you like), sausage, and veggies.
- Fold the tortilla in half.
- Heat a clean skillet over medium heat.
- Place tortilla on hot skillet adn cook until golden brown. Flip and heat the other side until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Cut in half and serve with additional toppings!
- Assemble quesadillas as directed above, but don’t heat the assembled quesadillas.
- Instead, cut the quesadillas in half and wrap each assembled quesadilla individually in plastic wrap.
- Arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet/or dinner plate.
- Place the sheet in freezer until the quesadillas are firm.
- Transfer each quesadilla to a freezer bag or airtight container. Freeze for up to 2 months.
- When ready to cook, remove plastic wrap and warm in microwave! OR Thaw in fridge overnight and cook them in the skillet as directed above.
Thanks again to Jennie-O for sponsoring today’s post. Without them, I wouldn’t get to enjoy these Sausage Breakfast Quesadillas #allday #everyday. 🙂