This Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings Recipe is winter comfort food perfection! Super quick and easy to make and SO hearty and cozy! No cream of “x” soup. Uses refrigerated biscuit dough!
This Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings Recipe is one of our most popular recipes (originally posted December 7, 2017), so I’ve updated it to include a how-to video! Enjoy!
‘Tis the season for all things cookies and candies.
Let’s just say the sugar has been flowing freely here at Show Me the Yummy.
We can’t just live off sugar. I mean. I wish. But we can’t.
Because of that, it’s also the season for all the comfy, cozy, and EASY dinners.
Get ready, because this crockpot chicken and dumplings recipe TOTALLY fits the bill.
While Trevor and I may be in living it up in 70º Florida weather right now (we’re on a year long road trip around the US & Canada), we’re originally from the Midwest where this time of year can be FREEZING cold.
This crockpot chicken and dumplings is the kind of recipe you CRAVE during this time of year.
It’s hearty and will definitely warm you from the inside out.
The perfect comfort food.
PLUS, it’s super quick and easy to make, so we can get back to all the holiday baking we’ve got planned.
Ingredients for crockpot chicken and dumplings with grands biscuits:
- Yukon gold potatoes
- Chicken breasts
- Spices: salt, pepper, garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, nutmeg
- Chicken broth
- Frozen green peas
- Half & half
- Grands refrigerated biscuits!
Can you make crockpot chicken and dumplings without cream of chicken soup?
Yes! As you can see in the ingredient list above. There is NO cream of chicken soup. Instead, we’re making this creamy with chicken broth, half & half, and a touch of flour.
You won’t miss the cream of chicken soup.
Can you make chicken and dumplings in a slow cooker?
Yes! Here’s how you make chicken and dumplings in a slow cooker:
- Place ingredients into crockpot
- Diced potatoes
- Diced onions
- Diced celery
- Diced carrots
- Chicken breasts
- Spices: salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried rosemary, dried thyme, nutmeg
- Chicken broth
- Cover and cook for 4 hours on HIGH or 8 hours on LOW
- Shred the chicken
- Add in frozen peas, half and half, and flour and stir until well combined
- Top the mixture with chopped up refrigerated biscuit dough.
- Cook an additional hour
Now. One of the biggest questions I always get for crockpot chicken recipes . . .
Can you put frozen chicken in crockpot?
No! I mean. I have and lived to tell the tale, but technically you’re not supposed to cook frozen chicken in the crockpot due to food safety issues.
The chicken may or may not come to a safe temperature quickly enough in the crockpot.
So. It’s better to play it safe and use fresh or thawed chicken.
Anyway. Back to this deliciousness . . .
Tender chicken, ultra fluffy, slightly sweet dumplings/biscuits, the creamiest, most flavorful sauce . . .
winner winner crockpot chicken and dumplings dinner!
Do you want more comfort food recipes? Show Me the Yummy!
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- 1/2 pound Yukon gold potatoes diced
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup half-and-half room temperature
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 (16.3 oz) can refrigerated biscuit dough each biscuit quartered
- Grease crockpot with cooking spray.
- Add in potatoes, onions, celery, and carrots.
- Place chicken breasts on top of veggies.
- Add in spices: salt, pepper, garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, and nutmeg.
- Pour in chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours.
- Remove lid and shred chicken directly in the crockpot.
- Add in frozen peas.
- Whisk together half and half and flour in a small bowl, then pour into the crockpot.
- Stir everything to combine.
- Top with dough - should be an even layer over the top of the filling.
- Cover and cook an additional hour on HIGH.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Note: Nutritional information is estimated and varies based on products used.