Love beef stroganoff? You’ll love my Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff! It’s made in the crockpot, has no “cream of x” soup, & uses my blend of spices!
This Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Recipe is easy, ultra creamy (without the help of “cream of anything” soups), and is the perfect, hearty, yet not incredibly unhealthy meal for these cold winter nights.
This recipe reminds me so much of my childhood, as my mom used to make this when I was growing up. As I’ve mentioned before, I was a super picky eater as a kid.
First, I hated beef stroganoff.
Then, I would eat the beef, but wouldn’t go near the noodles.
Then, I would go nuts over the noodles, but wouldn’t touch the beef with a ten foot pole. Honestly, I’m still not a huge red meat eater, but I seriously love this stuff.
Eventually, I learned to like everything together. 😉
Now this Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is a spin off on my mom’s recipe. Her recipe needed to be baked in the oven for about three hours anyway, so I just decided to throw everything into my beloved crockpot instead!
Worked like a charm.
I took the basic idea of my mom’s recipe, but swapped cream of mushroom soup for broth, milk, and fresh mushrooms, (& flour to thicken it up) and instead of using a package of onion soup, I made up my own, super easy spice mix!
Other than that, I kept everything the same. I used 2 pounds of round steak, a little white wine, egg noodles, a touch of butter, and of course, sour cream <– my favorite part.
Here’s what you need to do.
How do I make an easy beef stroganoff?
- Step 1: Grease your crockpot with cooking spray.
- Step 2: Whisk together a sauce – this replaces the cream of “x” soup that I’ll explain in a bit.
- Step 3: Throw in butter, cubed steak, mushrooms, and minced onion.
- Step 4: Set and forget. Let it cook low and slow for about 8 hours while you’re a work!
- Step 5: When you get home whisk in flour, sour cream, and cook uncovered for an additional 30 minutes. It gets all thick and delicious.
- Step 6: While Step 5 is happening 👆 , boil those crazy delicious egg noodles we all ♡.
- Step 7: Serve, d.e.v.o.ur., and feel all cozy inside.
Let’s back it up for a second and talk about the lack of cream of “x” soup.
How do I make slow cooker beef stroganoff without canned soup?
The answer is easy. Make a homemade canned soup! Kinda. 😉
To replace the canned soup in this recipe, all you’re going to do is whisk together:
- milk (I used skim)
- white wine (don’t skip it)
- spices: yummy things like onion powder, parsley, celery seed, and paprika.
Easy peasy, right?!
As you can see this Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is so easy. It’s also so cozy and warm and perfect for eating during these freezing cold months.
If you’ve ever been a fan of the classic beef stroganoff, you’ll love my Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff even more.
Why? Because it’s made in the crockpot, has no mystery cream of anything soup, and uses my concoction of spices instead of a package!
Cozy deliciousness for the win!
Do you like red meat? What are your favorite beef dishes? I’d love to make them for you! Show me the yummy!
- 1/2 cup beef broth ** divided
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup white wine or more milk/broth
- 2 teaspoons salt may need to lessen if you replace wine with broth
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (8 oz) package sliced mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion minced
- 2 pounds round steak cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup Sour cream
- 1 (16 oz) package wide egg noodles cooked according to package directions
- Grease crockpot with cooking spray.
- Directly in the crockpot, whisk together 1/4 cup broth, milk, white wine, salt, pepper, onion powder, parsley, celery seed, and paprika.
- Stir in butter, mushrooms, onion, and steak.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or HIGH for 4 hours.
- Whisk together the other 1/4 cup beef broth, flour, and sour cream.
- Stir into the crockpot and cook, UNCOVERED, for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve over cooked egg noodles!