This Crockpot Sesame Chicken is a more flavorful, health-i-fied version of a take-out classic! One of my go-to throw and go, quick and easy recipes!
This recipe combines my two true loves in life:
- My crockpot
- Asian food
People often ask me what my favorite kitchen tools are and I always have the same response:
- My garlic press <– this one always surprises everyone, but I freaking LOVE it. Garlic is SO sticky.
- My slow cooker
People also often ask me what my favorite foods are and I, again, always have the same response:
- Mexican food. Chips, salsa, and margaritas are life.
- Indian food. Paneer tikka masala anyone? I NEED to master it, so I can share a recipe with you!
- Asian food. All of it, but especially . . .
While I do love the classic take out sesame chicken, I honestly loved this Crockpot Sesame Chicken Recipe more.
Sesame chicken can get SO soggy and it’s probably not the healthiest choice, so today, I fixed both of those problems and ditched the breading.
I promise you, you won’t miss it.
I also made this recipe *almost* as easy as take out, by throwing everything into the crockpot.
You’re going to start by whisking together the sauce ingredients: chicken broth, seasoned rice vinegar, soy sauce (or tamari if you’re gluten free), a touch of honey, a teeny bit of ketchup, garlic, red pepper flakes, ground ginger, and black pepper.
Pour half into your crockpot, place the chicken in, and top with the rest of the sauce.
Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or HIGH for 2.
Then, you’ll remove the chicken, whisk some cornstarch into the sauce, and place the chicken back in.
Cook for an additional 30 minutes – 1 hour.
Remove the chicken, cut into chunks, then stir back into the sauce, and . . .
You can serve this over white rice, brown rice, your grain of choice, OR I’ve been really into Green Giant Riced Cauliflower Medley (not sponsored, I’m just legit obsessed) lately for a healthier, low carb option.
Honestly, though, I’d eat this straight outta the slow cooker, because this Crockpot Sesame Chicken is literally a flavor bomb.
A little sweet, a little spicy, full of tender chicken, ultra easy, super healthy . . .
The PERFECT dinner.
What’s one of your FAVORITE not-so-healthy dinners that I could health-i-fy and adapt for the crockpot? Show Me the Yummy!
- 2 pounds chicken breasts uncooked boneless skinless
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or gluten free alternative
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoons ketchup I used an all natural, free of sugar variety - NOTE: there's a mistake in the video, it says sriracha, but it's ketchup 🙂
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Sesame seeds for topping
- Rice for serving
- Grease your crockpot with cooking spray.
- Whisk together sauce ingredients.
- Pour half the sauce into crockpot.
- Place chicken into crockpot.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the chicken.
- Place the lid on and cook on LOW for 4 hours or HIGH for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from crockpot and set aside.
- Whisk the cornstarch into the sauce until well combined.
- Place chicken back into crockpot and cover.
- Cook for an additional 30 mins on HIGH (if you cooked on HIGH before) or 1 hour on HIGH (if you cooked on low before).
- Remove chicken, cut into chunks, then stir back into sauce.
- Serve with your choice of rice and additional toppings and enjoy!
* This post contains affiliate links. We receive a commission on purchases made via these links. The price you pay is not affected by using them.