This Crockpot Sesame Chicken is a more flavorful, health-i-fied version of a take-out classic! One of my go-to throw and go, quick and easy recipes!
Asian inspired recipes are my JAM. You might also love these recipes: chicken cauliflower fried rice, slow cooker lo mein, slow cooker thai chicken soup, asian sloppy joes.
Crockpot Sesame Chicken <– latest obsession right here.
This recipe combines my two true loves in life:
- My crockpot
- Asian food
People often ask me what my favorite kitchen tools are and I always have the same response:
- My garlic press <– this one always surprises everyone, but I freaking LOVE it. Garlic is SO sticky.
- My slow cooker
People also often ask me what my favorite foods are and I, again, always have the same response:
- Mexican food. Chips, salsa, and margaritas are life.
- Indian food. Paneer tikka masala anyone? I NEED to master it, so I can share a recipe with you!
- Asian food. All of it, but especially . . .
While I do love the classic take out sesame chicken, I honestly loved this Crockpot Sesame Chicken Recipe more.
Sesame chicken can get SO soggy and it’s probably not the healthiest choice…
How bad is sesame chicken for you?
It depends. If you’re ordering it from a restaurant, chances are, it’s probably not great for you, but I mean, YOLO, right?!
That being said, today’s sesame chicken is not bad for you at all! This is DEFINITELY a healthier version of a classic, especially since you can serve it with brown or cauliflower rice!
Plus, I ditched the breading, so it’s instantly healthier. I promise you, you won’t miss it.
What is chinese sesame chicken made out of?
- Chicken breasts
- Seasoned rice vinegar
- Soy sauce
- Honey (just a touch)
- Red pepper flakes
- Black pepper
- Sesame seeds
This crockpot sesame chicken recipe is *almost* as easy as take out, because you literally just throw everything into the crockpot.
You’re going to start by whisking together the sauce ingredients: chicken broth, seasoned rice vinegar, soy sauce (or tamari if you’re gluten free), a touch of honey, a teeny bit of ketchup, garlic, red pepper flakes, ground ginger, and black pepper.
Pour half into your crockpot, place the chicken in, and top with the rest of the sauce.
Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours or HIGH for 2.
Then, you’ll remove the chicken, whisk some cornstarch into the sauce, and place the chicken back in.
Cook for an additional 30 minutes – 1 hour.
Remove the chicken, cut into chunks, then stir back into the sauce, and . . .
You can serve this over white rice, brown rice, your grain of choice, OR I’ve been really into Green Giant Riced Cauliflower Medley (not sponsored, I’m just legit obsessed) lately for a healthier, low carb option.
Honestly, though, I’d eat this straight outta the slow cooker, because this Crockpot Sesame Chicken is literally a flavor bomb.
What is the difference between general tso’s chicken and sesame chicken?
I get this question a lot, because people want to know, if they like General Tso’s, will they also like sesame chicken?
The answer is YES!
They are different though, as General Tso’s is often a little less sweet, but is much spicier and can be served with broccoli and carrots.
Are orange chicken and sesame chicken the same thing?
This is another question I get quite often.
The answer is no. 🙂
Here’s my favorite orange chicken recipe if you’re looking for a great, easy, delicious new recipe! While they are also similar, the biggest difference is the prominent orange flavor in orange chicken.
Today, though, this sesame chicken is a little sweet, a little spicy, full of tender chicken, ultra easy, super healthy . . .
The PERFECT dinner.
Crockpot Sesame Chicken Recipe
Equipment for this recipe
- 2 pounds chicken breasts uncooked boneless skinless
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce or gluten free alternative
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon ketchup I used an all natural, free of sugar variety - NOTE: there's a mistake in the video, it says sriracha, but it's ketchup 🙂
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Sesame seeds, cilantro, and red pepper flakes optional for topping
- Rice, brown rice, or cauliflower rice for serving
- Grease your crockpot with cooking spray.
- Whisk together sauce ingredients: broth, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, ketchup, garlic, red pepper flakes, ginger, and pepper.
- Pour half the sauce into crockpot.
- Place chicken into crockpot.
- Pour the rest of the sauce over the chicken.
- Place the lid on and cook on LOW for 4 hours or HIGH for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from crockpot and set aside.
- Whisk the cornstarch into the sauce until well combined.
- Place chicken back into crockpot and cover.
- Cook for an additional 30 mins on HIGH (if you cooked on HIGH before) or 1 hour on HIGH (if you cooked on low before).
- Remove chicken, cut into chunks, then stir back into sauce.
- Serve with your choice of rice and additional toppings and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.