This Crockpot Chicken and Stuffing is like a one pot Thanksgiving meal! Tender chicken and stuffing mix are slow cooked with green beans and dried cranberries in a creamy and flavorful gravy.
Imagine everyone’s favorite holiday side dishes tossed with ultra-tender, ridiculously flavorful chicken all in one throw and go slow cooker meal…
Well…imagine no more. It’s here!
This crockpot chicken and stuffing is like the perfect combination of green bean casserole, stuffing, and cranberry sauce. It’s got all of the flavor you want, all of the texture you want, and it’s SO easy to make!
This chicken and stuffing is basically Thanksgiving in one crockpot meal! 😉
- Unsalted Butter – used to cook the veggies and add a warm, buttery flavor.
- Yellow Onion, Celery, and Mushrooms – that classic veggie blend used for stuffing. Yellow onion adds caramel-y sweetness, celery adds crunch, and mushrooms absorb tons of flavor.
- Garlic – adds a subtle nutty flavor.
- Dried Rosemary, Dried Sage, Dried Thyme, Salt, Pepper, and Nutmeg – a sweet, earthy seasoning blend to really take your meal to another level of Thanksgiving flavor.
- Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup, Sour Cream, and Milk – our homemade “gravy” that adds rich, tangy, earthy flavors and so much creamy texture.
- Chicken Breast – I use boneless and skinless chicken breast but chicken thigh or even turkey will work as well.
- Dried Cranberries – add a delicious pop of chewy texture and tart, sweet flavor.
- Chicken Broth – gives the stuffing and the chicken moisture and flavor.
- Stuffing Mix – use your favorite boxed variety! I used Stovetop Chicken Stuffing Mix.
- Frozen Green Beans – no need to thaw first. The frozen green beans go straight into the crockpot!
- Fried Onions – finishes the overall creamy, smooth dish off with a delicious crispy texture.
How to make
This crockpot chicken and stuffing recipe really couldn’t get any easier. Sauté some veggies, layer in your ingredients, cover, cook, and dinner is ready!
- Melt butter in a large sauté pan then add in onion, celery, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together rosemary, sage, thyme, salt, pepper, and nutmeg then set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together condensed soup, sour cream, and milk until smooth then set aside.
- Place chicken breasts into a greased crockpot then sprinkle with 1/2 of the spice mixture and top with sautéed veggies, cranberries, and chicken broth.
- Cover with the stuffing mix then add on soup/sour cream/milk mixture, frozen green beans, and remaining seasonings. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or on LOW for 8 hours
- Remove chicken and shred, stir back into the crockpot, then serve with fried onions and enjoy!
Can you put raw chicken in the slow cooker?
Yes! The raw chicken breast goes straight into the crockpot and cooks perfectly! The low and slow cook time really allows the meat to get ultra-tender and soak in tons of flavor.
I think this chicken and stuffing recipe is just about as perfect as it gets…;) However, if you want to switch things up, here are some yummy changes you can make.
- Use a different meat. You can use chicken thigh instead of chicken breast or, if you’d rather not use chicken, try turkey instead!
- Add other veggies. Try carrots or frozen corn. Sauté the carrots with the onion/celery mixture until tender, but simply throw the frozen corn in with the green beans.
- Add nuts. Give the chicken and stuffing some crunch with some chopped walnuts or pecans.
- Use a different stuffing. Cornbread stuffing would also be delicious.
What to serve with chicken and stuffing
I love to serve this chicken and stuffing with other super yummy holiday sides!
How to store
Leftover chicken and stuffing will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then microwave or warm on the stove until heated through.
Crockpot Chicken and Stuffing
Equipment for this recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 cups celery finely chopped
- 1 (8 oz) package mushrooms diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dried ground sage
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt plus more to taste, if necessary
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried nutmeg
- 1 (10.5 oz) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 oz) container sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup dried cranberries (craisins)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (6 oz) box stuffing mix
- 1 (12 oz) bag frozen green beans
- French’s Crispy Fried Onions optional for topping, but adds a nice crunch!
- Melt butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Once melted, add in onion, celery, mushrooms, and garlic and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together rosemary, sage, thyme, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together condensed soup, sour cream, and milk until smooth. Set aside.
- Grease a 6 quart crockpot with cooking spray, then add in chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 the spice mixture, then top with the sautéed veggies, cranberries, and chicken broth.
- Cover with the stuffing mix, then pour on the soup/sour cream/milk mixture.
- Place frozen green beans on top and sprinkle with remaining spice mixture.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours (preferred) or on LOW for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken, shred, then stir back into the crockpot*.
- Taste and re-season, if necessary, then serve with optional fried onions and enjoy!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.