This Slow Cooker Beef Stew is SO easy to make. It’s the perfect cozy, hearty fall meal! Loaded with chuck roast, veggies: onion, potatoes, carrots, and celery – beef broth, red wine (optional), and spices! A stick-to-your-ribs meal made healthier!
It’s officially fall in Raleigh!
Trevor and I went to Palm Springs last week, leaving 80 degree weather in Raleigh and came back a week later to weather in the 60s!
While I am TOTALLY a summer loving girl at heart (I swear to you I need a jacket if it drops below 75 😉 ), I’m secretly super happy for all things fall.
I’m not gonna lie, I spent most of my Sunday morning online shopping for new sweaters!
My favorite part of fall, though?
Bring ooooooon the soups, stews, and casseroles.
To kick off the season, I bring to you, slow cooker beef stew.
It’s hearty and filling, yet still relatively light and packed with veggies.
It’s definitely a stick-to-your-ribs kinda meal, but it won’t leave you feeling heavy.
You’re gonna LOVE it.
Ingredients for easy beef stew recipe:
- Chuck roast – I love this cut of meat, because it gets SO tender in the crockpot
- Spices: salt, pepper, paprika, and a bay leaf
- Yukon gold potatoes
- Beef broth
- Red wine
- Worcestershire sauce
- Red wine vinegar
Do i need to use red wine in this slow cooker beef stew?
While I highly recommend the red wine for flavor, you could absolutely just use more beef broth. If you use beef broth, you might want to cut down on the additional salt.
You could even use water to replace the red wine, but then you’ll probably need to adjust the seasonings.
How to make the best ever slow cooker beef stew:
- Cut your chuck roast into 1/2 – 1 inch chunks
- Toss the cubed beef with flour, salt, pepper, and paprika
- Throw the coated beef into a greased crockpot with garlic, onion, potatoes, carrot, celery, beef broth, red wine, worcesterhisre sauce, and red wine vinegar
- Stir to combine
- Top with a bay leaf
- Cover and cook for 8-10 hours on LOW or HIGH 4-6 hours
- Discard bay leaf and serve!
I love serving this beef stew with really thick crusty bread to soak up all the juices <– Y.U.M.
Quick, easy, hearty, delicious.
What more do you need in a cozy fall recipe?!
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
Equipment for this recipe
- 2 pounds chuck roast
fat trimmed, then cut into 1/2 - 1-inch chunks (mine was 2.5 pounds, then 2 pounds after fat trimmed)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
plus more to taste (I used 1 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 4 Yukon Gold Potatoes cut into 1/2 - 1-inch chunks (1.5 pounds)
- 4 carrots sliced into coins
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine I used cabernet sauvignon - could replace with more broth or water, but then you may want to adjust seasonings
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- Grease your crockpot with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place cubed beef into a large bowl.
- Toss with flour, salt, pepper, and paprika until each piece is evenly coated.
- Place into crockpot and add in garlic, onion, potatoes, carrots, celery, broth, wine, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar.
- Stir to combine.
- Top with bay leaves.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or HIGH for 4-6 hours.
- Discard bay leaves and serve with crusty bread!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.