Slow Cooker Beef Stew
This Slow Cooker Beef Stew is SO easy to make. It's the perfect cozy, hearty fall meal! Loaded with chuck roast, veggies: onion, potatoes, carrots, and celery - beef broth, red wine (optional), and spices! A stick-to-your-ribs meal made healthier!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time4 hrs
Total Time4 hrs 15 mins
Servings: 8 people
- 2 pounds chuck roast fat trimmed, then cut into 1/2 - 1-inch chunks (mine was 2.5 pounds, then 2 pounds after fat trimmed)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste (I used 1 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 4 Yukon Gold Potatoes cut into 1/2 - 1-inch chunks (1.5 pounds)
- 4 carrots sliced into coins
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine I used cabernet sauvignon - could replace with more broth or water, but then you may want to adjust seasonings
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
Grease your crockpot with cooking spray. Set aside.
Place cubed beef into a large bowl.
Toss with flour, salt, pepper, and paprika until each piece is evenly coated.
Place into crockpot and add in garlic, onion, potatoes, carrots, celery, broth, wine, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar.
Stir to combine.
Top with bay leaves.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours or HIGH for 4-6 hours.
Discard bay leaves and serve with crusty bread!
To make this gluten free, I'm sure an all purpose gluten free flour would work just fine! :) Also, be sure to check labels on other products used to be sure they're certified gluten free.
*4 hours on high or 8 hours on low for me was perfect!
Calories: 310kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 78mg | Sodium: 541mg | Potassium: 964mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 5280IU | Vitamin C: 13.7mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 5.9mg