This Slow Cooker Beef Chili is a quick & easy fall dinner! Beef, beer, liquid smoke, vegetables, & spices cook low & slow for a really flavorful dish!
As long as a have a steamy hot bowl of this chili in one hand and a cold beverage (beer anyone?) in the other, I can get through just about anything.
Not only is this beef chili ah-mazing, because it’s made in my all time favorite kitchen tool – the crockpot – it’s amazing, because it’s got crrrrazy amounts of good stuff in it: beer 🙌, liquid smoke <– trust me, loads of spices, beef, beans, veggies….ugh!
This slow cooker beef chili. I can’t even. 🙆
Chili is one of those things that I never make, but every single time I have it, I wonder why I don’t eat it more often. Especially when there are things like this slow cooker beef chili that are so darn easy to make, and just so darn delicious, it’s one of those recipes, you should make all the time.
Here’s what you need to do:
1. Brown beef.
2. Throw everything into crockpot.
3. Cook looooooow and slow. Seriously. Don’t rush this. This recipe does best when the flavors really have a chance to build and meld together.
4. Stuff. Your. Face.
Think you can handle it? 😉
This recipe came to be, because I was having one of those moments, where I literally wanted to do anything, but cook, and by that I mean, all I wanted to do was nothing. It was one of those l.a.z.y. days where I was starving, but didn’t even want to answer the door for delivery.
Did I just admit that?
Anyway. I had a bunch of random ingredients in my fridge/pantry, so I decided to throw it all together and call it chili.
Best. Decision. Ever.
Like I said before, this slow cooker beef chili starts by browning some ground beef. Once that’s cooked through, you literally throw everything into the crockpot and let it cook for 8 hours.
The “everything” includes two different types of beans (because I need beans in my chili), tomatoes, onion, peppers, garlic, beer <– because why not?, liquid smoke, broth, and a heckofalotof spices.
Let me explain the whole liquid smoke thing. Today, we used Stubb’s Hickory Liquid Smoke and let me just say, we’re…
My obsession started when I made crockpot butternut squash soup with vegan bacon a few weeks ago. Ever since, I’ve been waiting for another time to use liquid smoke.
I thought chili would be the perfect dish to use it in! Beef + beer + smokey flavor?
Yes. Yes. Yes.
If you’ve never experienced liquid smoke, you’ve been missing out. It’s pretty strong in smell and flavor, so you don’t need much, but it takes things to a whole other level.
Trust me. Plus, it goes perfectly with the chili powder, cumin, and paprika I used in this slow cooker beef chili!
Just to review: this slow cooker beef chili is easy, literally takes 10-15 minutes to prep, and is full of ultra tasty ingredients like beef and beer.
Oh. I almost forgot.
THE TOPPINGS! The best part really. This slow cooker beef chili tastes best topped with Fritos (seriously – I hate these things alone, but love them on my chili), sour cream, and shredded cheese.
Seriously? Pass me another bowl!
Slow Cooker Beef Chili
Equipment for this recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and diced (omit if you don’t like spicy, leave seeds in if you do)
- 4 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 (12 oz) bottle beer I used an IPA
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Stubb's Hickory Liquid Smoke
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Green onions
- Tortilla Chips
- Sour cream
- Place beef in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook, breaking it up as you go, until it's no longer pink.
- Drain the grease off and set aside.
- Grease your crockpot with cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients into your crockpot and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Taste and season if necessary.
- Serve with desired toppings!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
*This is not a sponsored post. We were, however, compensated for our groceries and provided with the Stubb’s Hickory Liquid Smoke. Thanks to Stubb’s for helping us make this crazy delicious Slow Cooker Beef Chili!