This Crockpot Potato Soup is SO quick and easy to make and is loaded with leftover ham, bacon, and frozen hash browns! Gluten free and no cream of “x” soup!
This soup reminds me of my Gram. 🙂
And Christmas. 🙂
And cold, cozy winter nights. 🙂
This Crockpot Potato Soup Recipe is based off of my Gram’s potato soup we used to eat Christmas evening growing up.
Her recipe is absolutely amazing as is, but I wanted to adapt it for the slow cooker (aka my FAVE kitchen tool) and take out a few steps to make the recipe even easier.
While I DID make it easier, I promise it tastes just as amazing. 🙂
A simple, cozy soup that’s perfect for cold winter nights and a great way to use up all that leftover holiday ham!
One of my favorite things to do is adapt old family recipes and make them just a little more modern.
Here are some swaps/adjustments that I made for today’s crockpot potato soup recipe:
- Gram’s potato soup –> instead of making it on the stove, I threw it in the slow cooker to keep things even easier!
- Cream of chicken soup –> instead, I used half and half, cornstarch, and chicken broth to keep things healthier (although this is still NOT a health recipe 😉 ).
- Onion –> omitted, because there’s already onion in the frozen hash browns we’re using and I didn’t feel like chopping an onion #lazygirlwin
- Margarine –> instead, used half the amount of butter, I wanted to keep the flavor, but cut out some of the calories
- Celery flakes/seeds –> omitted, because, again, I’m lazy and I never have these on hand. 😉
These few simple swaps made for SUCH an easy dinner that Trevor and I went absolutely nuts for.
Wanna see how easy?
- Step One: Grease crockpot.
- Step Two: Place chicken broth, bacon (I cooked some in the microwave), leftover ham, butter, frozen potatoes o’brien (frozen cubed hash browns with peppers and onions), garlic powder, salt, and pepper into crockpot.
- Step Three: Cover and cook on HIGH 3 hours or LOW 6 hours.
- Step Four: Whisk together half-and-half and cornstarch together, then add that to the soup.
- Step Five: Cover and cook on HIGH for an additional 30 minutes.
- Step Six: DEVOUR. With loads of crusty bread.
Now. This IS a thinner soup. I know a lot of crockpot potato soup recipes are thicker, but this is the way my Gram used to make it and I actually prefer the consistency! It’s not as heavy as some traditional potato soups, which is awesome! That being said, if you’d like a thicker soup, just use less chicken broth!
So as you can see, this crockpot potato soup is SO quick and easy to make and is loaded with leftover savory ham, smoky bacon, and frozen hash browns! Plus, BONUS, it’s gluten free!
You’d never guess such a simple recipe would be such a flavor bomb, but trust me, this soup is totally gonna blow your mind. 😉
Crockpot Potato Soup
Equipment for this recipe
- 6 cups chicken broth*
- 4-6 strips bacon cooked & crumbled, I used 4 thick cut, plus more for topping
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 (28 oz) bag frozen potatoes o’brien frozen cubed hash browns with peppers and onions
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt more or less depending on how salty your broth/bacon/ham are
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup half and half room temperature
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- bread for serving
- Grease crockpot with cooking spray.
- Add in broth, bacon, ham, butter, frozen potatoes, pepper, salt, and garlic powder.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 3 hours or LOW 6 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together half and half and cornstarch.
- Stir into soup.
- Cover again and cook on HIGH 30 minutes (even if you cooked on LOW before).
- Taste and re-season, if necessary.
- Serve with bread!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.