These Air Fryer Egg Rolls are healthier than deep fried egg rolls but just as crispy! Filled with tender ground pork and coleslaw mix tossed in a salty, tangy dressing.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – used to cook the pork with ginger, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Ground Pork – the classic egg roll meat.
- Minced Ginger and Garlic – I love the kick of flavor provided by the fresh ginger and garlic.
- Salt and Pepper – brings out flavors and adds a touch of heat.
- Coleslaw Mix – a mix of shredded cabbage, red cabbage, and shredded cabbage. Usually these mixes come with a dressing. You can either use it for something else or just toss it.
- Chopped Green Onion and Chopped Cilantro – adds bright, fresh flavors.
- Soy Sauce, Rice Vinegar, Lime Juice, Sesame Oil, Sriracha, and Brown Sugar – a salty, tangy, and slightly sweet sauce for the egg roll filling.
- Egg Roll Wrappers – become super crispy in the air fryer.
- Sweet and Sour Sauce – for serving!
How to make
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat then add in pork, ginger, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook until the pork is no longer pink; drain the grease.
- Remove the pork mixture from heat then stir in coleslaw mix, green onion, cilantro, soy sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice, sesame oil, sriracha, and brown sugar then set aside.
- Lay one egg roll wrapper out on a clean work surface so a corner is pointed towards you then brush with water.
- Place 1/3 cup of filling on the wrapper then fold one corner up over the mixture.
- Fold the left and then right corners toward the center and continue to roll until sealed. Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400ºF, grease the basket with cooking spray, then place 4 egg rolls in the basket; be sure they’re not touching.
- Spray the tops with additional cooking spray then air fry for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
How to wrap egg rolls
Wrapping egg rolls really is so easy:
- Place the wrapper flat onto a clean work surface with a corner pointed at you.
- Place the filling in the very center of the wrapper then fold the bottom corner up to the center over the filling.
- Take the left and right corners and fold them in over the filling then roll up from the bottom until the egg roll is wrapped tightly.
Check out the video to get a visual!
Do you need an air fryer to make egg rolls?
You don’t! I love making egg rolls in the air fryer but if you don’t have one or prefer to cook them another way you can either bake or fry them in oil on the stove!
To bake egg rolls:
- Preheat oven to 425ºF and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat.
- Place egg rolls on the prepared baking sheet and spray the tops with cooking spray.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crispy, rotating periodically for even cooking.
To make egg rolls on the stovetop, check out my deep fried egg roll recipe instead!
- Use fresh wrappers. If your wrappers are old or dried out they might crack when you try to roll them.
- Wet the wrappers. Before you add any filling, brush the egg roll wrappers with a bit of water. This makes the edges sticky so they hold together when you seal the egg roll.
- Don’t overfill. Don’t put more than 1/3 cup of the filling into each wrapper. If the rolls are overstuffed, they may burst apart as they cook.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer. Air fry 4 egg rolls at a time so there’s plenty of space for the air to circulate and cook the outsides.
- Use cooking spray. Spraying the air fryer basket with cooking spray prevents the wrappers from sticking. Spraying the tops of the egg rolls with cooking spray gets them nice and crispy!
- Flip halfway through. Make sure you flip the egg rolls after 5 minutes of cooking so they cook evenly all the way around.
I love this air fryer egg roll recipe as is but if you’re looking for ways to switch things up, here are some ideas:
- Add more veggies. Mix in bean sprouts, cooked mushrooms, cooked onion, etc.
- Use another meat. Swap the ground pork out for ground chicken, turkey, or even shrimp.
- Make vegetarian egg rolls. Leave out the meat and supplement with extra veggies or use tofu instead.
What to serve with air fryer egg rolls
Egg rolls are a classic Asian side dish so I love to serve them next to other Asian-inspired recipes!
Can you make air fryer egg rolls ahead of time
You can! To make egg rolls ahead of time, simply assemble as directed, then place, seam side down, on a baking sheet and flash freeze for an hour. Once the egg rolls are frozen, you can place them into a ziplock baggie and freeze for up to 3 months.
To cook frozen egg rolls, you can thaw them overnight in the fridge and cook as directed. You can also cook them from frozen but the cook time will increase.
How to store
Leftover egg rolls will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 1-2 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then bake or air fry to warm and re-crisp.
Air Fryer Egg Rolls
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 8.5 oz bag coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage, red cabbage, carrots) - dressing discarded
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- Sweet and sour sauce for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add in pork, ginger, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Cook, breaking up the meat as you go, until the pork is no longer pink. Drain.
- Remove from heat and stir in the coleslaw mix, green onion, cilantro, soy sauce, rice vinegar, lime juice, sesame oil, sriracha, and brown sugar.
- Taste and re-season, if necessary.
- Set aside.
- Lay out one egg roll wrapper with a corner pointed toward you.
- Brush with water.
- Place 1/3 cup of filling on wrapper.
- Fold one corner up over the mixture.
- Fold left and right corners toward the center and continue to roll until sealed. Set aside onto a clean work surface.
- Repeat with remaining filling and wrappers.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Grease basket with cooking spray, place in 4 eggs rolls - be sure they’re not touching, then spray the tops with additional cooking spray.
- Air fry for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Repeat with remaining egg rolls and serve with sweet and sour sauce!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.