This Sweet Potato Hash Recipe is perfect for brunch! Full of bacon, eggs, sweet potatoes, cheese, and spices, this breakfast hash is filling, easy, and yummy!
Today’s post is sponsored by our friends at Crystal Farms Cheese. Their cheese is made by cheese lovers for cheese lovers and we all know. . . cheese lovers are the best people.
This, my friends, is my latest breakfast obsession. The best, easiest sweet potato hash recipe. Bacon meets sweet potatoes meets the perfect blend of veggies, spices, eggs, and everyone’s favorite addition: cheese.
- Bacon – adds flavor and texture to this dish.
- Sweet Potato – adds a bit of sweetness to an otherwise savory dish. Cooking sweet potato in the bacon grease also gives it a nice, crispy texture.
- Green Pepper – adds some bitterness to the dish creating a great contrast to the sweetness of the potato.
- Red Pepper – offsets the bitterness of the green pepper with a bit of a sweeter, earthy flavor.
- Yellow Onion – soaks up the flavor of all the spices and the bacon while also adding that crisp, sweet flavor that only onions have.
- Eggs – add some flavor and protein rounding out an already awesome breakfast dish.
- Chili Powder – gives your breakfast a bit of a spicy kick.
- Cumin – gives the dish some warmth with its earthy, nutty flavor.
- Paprika – accentuates the flavor of the red pepper with a little bit of sweetness while also adding color to the dish.
- Dried Oregano – gives the hash an earthy, herbaceous flavor.
- Garlic Powder – adds a strong flavor to the hash with its caramelly, nutty taste.
- Salt -brings out the flavors of all the other components of this dish.
- Black Pepper – works well with all the other spices furthering the spicy earthiness provided by many of the flavors.
- Cheese – adds a spicy, cheesy flavor punch with Crystal Farms Jalapeno & Habanero Jack Cheese and a great garnish with Crystal Farms Feta cheese (optional.)
- Cilantro (optional) – adds a leafy, citrusy flavor to your dish. It also makes a great garnish for presentation purposes!
- Avocado (optional) – adds a creamy, buttery texture to your dish.
- Tomato (optional) – adds the perfect blend of sweetness and tanginess.
How to make sweet potato hash
The best part about this sweet potato breakfast hash, aside from the fact that it tastes amazing, is that you can prep most of the recipe the night before. Loaded with tasty and filling ingredients like bacon, sweet potatoes, and eggs, this sweet potato hash will keep you satisfied all morning long!
- Cook bacon and veggies in a cast-iron skillet.
- Stir in cheese.
- Crack eggs into indents in the hash.
- Bake and enjoy with additional toppings!
Only four easy steps for a delicious meal you’ll be proud to serve at every Sunday Brunch!
For this recipe, I used two kinds of Crystal Farms Cheese: Jalapeno & Habanero Jack and Feta. Located in Lake Mills, Wisconsin, Crystal Farms is one of the largest cheese brands in the country! All of their cheeses are all-natural, made with very few preservatives, have tons of calcium, and are totally gluten-free.
Can I eat sweet potato skin?
I’m often asked whether or not the skin of a sweet potato is safe to eat. My answer is always YES! In fact, the sweet potato peel contains a number of nutrients including fiber, beta-carotene, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, iron, and more! Although I do remove the peel for this recipe, you can certainly save yourself a step and still make a delicious brunch while also increasing the nutrient density in every, single bite!
Other great brunch recipes
If you’re hosting a brunch, blow your guests away with these other yummy recipes!
This Sweet Potato Hash is full of tender veggies, chewy/crispy bacon, plenty of cheese, is perfectly seasoned, and is just the best, hearty brunch recipe you’ll ever make!
Savory or sweet for breakfast? Show me the yummy!
Sweet Potato Hash Recipe
Equipment for this recipe
- 3 strips bacon
- 1 - 1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes washed, peeled, and cubed into ½ inch cubes
- 1/2 green pepper diced
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup Crystal Farms Jalapeno & Habanero Jack Cheese loosely packed
- 3-4 large eggs
- chopped cilantro
- diced avocado
- Crystal Farms Crumbled Feta
- diced tomatoes
- Place bacon in a cold (oven safe) cast iron skillet* in a single layer. Turn stove on to medium.
- Cook bacon until crispy. Remove bacon from pan, but leave the bacon grease.
- Crumble bacon and set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook the potatoes in the bacon grease for 5 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add in the green pepper, red pepper, onion, and seasonings: chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Cook until all the veggies are tender, about 7-10 more minutes.
- While veggies are cooking, preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Once veggies are done cooking, stir in crumbled bacon and jack cheese.
- Season with more salt and pepper, to taste.
- Then, using the back of a spoon, make 3-4 shallow indents into the hash.
- Crack an egg into each indent.
- Place skillet in oven and bake until the egg whites set, about 10 - 15 minutes, depending on how cooked you like your eggs.
- Top with optional toppings and serve!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
This post was originally published on March 22, 3016 and has been updated to provide more detailed information.
Thanks again to Crystal Farms Cheese for sponsoring today’s post. We seriously ♡ their cheese.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Crystal Farms. The opinions and text are all mine.