This One Pot Mac and Cheese Recipe makes for an easy, less mess, delicious vegetarian dinner! Asiago, Monterey Jack, and Cheddar Cheese make this extra yummy!
Although, Trevor and I both work from home now…and we tend to work on Saturday’s and Sunday’s… so, I guess, Friday’s really mean nothing to us anymore…
Regardless. There’s still something about Friday’s that’s totally satisfying.
I makes me feel like I don’t have to get thaaaat much work done, because it’s been a long week and I CAN have that cocktail at 5 o’clock, or go out for dinner. It makes me feel like I can even sit at home in my jammies with a big ol’ bowl of this creamy, dreamy, ultra cheesy one pot mac and cheese.
You have two choices tonight:
1. Go out and have that cocktail and dinner out.
2. Join me, and make this one pot mac and cheese recipe, watch Spy, and have some eggless edible cookie dough for dessert.
I’d go for option #2…but that’s just me. 😉
Just like my Easy Asian Noodles, this One Pot Mac and Cheese Recipe was born, because I actually had the will power to turn down take-out. You guys, Trevor suggested we order take-out 3 times last week, and I said no all 3 times.
Who am I?
Although I’m sliiiightly regretting that decision, overall, I’m glad we didn’t get take-out, because it meant we got to eat super yummy food that was super easy to make all while saving some money and probably a few calories, too. 😉
This mac and cheese is, you guessed it, made in one pot. Which, as you guys probably know, is one of my very favorite things in life. The less I have to do dishes, the better.
Let me tell you a little, semi-embarrassing story and then I promise I’ll tell you all about this one pot mac and cheese recipe. Promise.
Usually, I’m very good about cleaning up after myself. I’m almost too good. I thank my mom for that. I’m definitely a picker-upper. For example, I’ll put stuff away before people are done using it, because I hate clutter and I hate things just hanging around.
Last week, however, was a different story.
It took me, hmm, let me think, a WEEK before the kitchen was 100% clean.
A load would go into the dishwasher, and I’d still have a stack of dirty dishes hanging around the sink. Being a food blogger, I kept recipe testing, but the dishwasher just couldn’t keep up and I could not force myself to just do the darn dishes!
It was reeeeeally bad.
This is exactly why I need more recipes like this one pot mac and cheese recipe in my life.
Less mess? Check!
Now let’s talk about how easy this recipe is.
Place vegetable stock, milk, a touch of butter, and some shells in a stockpot. Let it cook, stir in some cheese – yeah, we’re using three cheeses: Asiago, Monterey, and Cheddar and let’s call it a day.
Seriously. That’s it.
If you want to do one little extra thing, you can spoon the finished mac and cheese into individual ramekins, top them with a little more shredded Monterey/Cheddar, a few sprinkles of breadcrumbs, and pop them under the broiler… you definitely wouldn’t hear any complaints. 😉
Less mess. Check!
But most importantly, let’s talk about about freakin’ delicious this tastes.
Ugh! It’s good.
And I don’t say that lightly, because I am, yes, I’ll admit it, a Kraft Mac & Cheese Girl. I can’t help it, I <3 boxed mac and cheese. Gimme the Kraft, gimme the Annie’s, gimme the Velveeta. I’ll take it all. And honestly, I’ve never been a fan of homemade mac and cheese.
But after making this one pot mac and cheese recipe… so looooong boxed mac and cheese.
It doesn’t create more of a mess, it’s just as easy, and I have to say, it tastes better!
This mac and cheese is so creamy, the noodles are perfectly al dente, and the combination of nutty Asiago, creamy Monterey, and sharp cheddar is outta this world, blow your mind, can hardly handle it amazing.
Less mess. Check!
Freaking delicious. Check!
Skip the take out and after work drinks tonight, make yourself a cocktail and some of this one pot mac and cheese, and I promise you’ll have a comfy, cozy, really great Friday night in. 🙂
If you’re like me, you absolutely ♡ One Pot Wonders, so you’ll also love these:
And for dessert?
Show me the yummy!
One Pot Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 1 (16 oz) box medium pasta shells uncooked
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper more or less to taste
- 2 oz shredded asiago about 1/2 cup
- 2 oz shredded Monterey jack cheese about 1/2 cup that’s been loosely packed, don’t buy pre-shredded!
- 4 oz shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese about 1 cup that’s been loosely packed, don’t buy pre-shredded!
Baked Ramekin Option (optional)
- Garlic & Herb Breadcrumbs for topping
- Extra Monterey/Cheddar shredded, for topping
- Place shells, vegetable stock, milk, and butter in a large stockpot.
- Over medium/medium low heat, bring the mixture to a low simmer (this will take a few minutes), stirring regularly.
- Once simmering, simmer for about 7-10 minutes or until shells are al dente. Stir constantly. You may need to adjust your heat to keep it at a low simmer.
- Once the shells are al dente, lower the heat to the lowest setting and stir in salt, pepper, and the three cheeses.
- Stir until the cheese has completely melted.
- Taste and re-season, if necessary.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately!
Baked Ramekin Option (optional)
- Spoon finished mac and cheese into 4 individual oven safe ramekins.
- Sprinkle with more Monterey/Cheddar cheese.
- Top with garlic and herb breadcrumbs.
- Broil on top rack for 1-2 minutes, watching carefully, until cheese is melty and the top has slightly browned.
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.