These Pizza Cupcakes are quick, delicious, and so customizable! Pizza dough is pressed into a muffin tin then stuffed with gooey cheese and your choice of toppings.
What are pizza cupcakes?
Pizza cupcakes are single serving deep dish pizzas that are baked in a muffin tin. The best part? They’re completely customizable! Use your favorite pizza dough, sauce, cheese, and toppings.
The basic ingredients are pizza dough, sauce, and cheese… from there, get creative! Today, I’ve made a “supreme” filling, but the possibilities are endless.
- Pizza Crust – use 1 (13.8 oz) can Pillsbury pizza crust to keep things easy or use your favorite homemade dough recipe! Cook time may vary depending on the product used.
- Cheese – mozzarella cheese is classic, but feel free to play around. My grocery store carries a “pizza blend” that contains mozzarella, provolone, romano, and parmesan.
- Pizza Sauce – use your favorite store-bought variety for ease, or again, make your own! I love my homemade pizza sauce if I have a few extra minutes.
- Filling of Choice – use your favorite pizza toppings! I made a “supreme” filling and used sautéed Italian sausage, green bell peppers, and onions.
- Pepperoni – optional, but adds a delicious spicy flavor and chewy texture.
How to make
These individual deep dish pizzas are cute, but surprisingly quick and easy to make!
- Use a 3.5 inch round cookie cutter to cut 12 circles out of the pizza dough.
- Place dough circles in a greased muffin tin, then fill with mozzarella cheese, pizza sauce, filling of choice, more mozzarella cheese, and pepperoni.
- Bake at 350 degrees F until the pizza crust has cooked through and the cheese has melted, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes, before removing from the muffin tin.
- Garnish with parmesan and red pepper flakes, if desired, and enjoy!
- Pepperoni and Sausage. Cook and crumble some sausage and quarter pepperonis for the filling.
- Meat Lovers. Pepperoni, sausage, and crispy bacon make an ultra savory combination.
- Classic Veggie. Use any of your favorite veggies: raw or sautéed. Try mushrooms, red onion, peppers, olives, and more.
- Hawaiian. For those that like sweet and savory, try diced pineapple and cubed ham.
- Buffalo Chicken. Swap the pizza sauce for Frank’s Red Hot and add in cooked and cubed chicken and crumbled blue cheese. Maybe through in some finely diced celery for a little crunch and drizzle with ranch!
- BBQ Chicken. Swap the pizza sauce for BBQ sauce and add in cooked and cubed chicken, red onion, and garnish with cilantro.
- Cheeseburger. See my Cheeseburger Pizza for inspiration.
- Taco. See my Taco Pizza for inspiration.
- Breakfast. See my Breakfast Pizza for inspiration.
What to serve with pizza cupcakes
To make these a complete meal, I love serving pizza cupcakes with fruit, a side salad and/or some extra veggies.
How to store
Leftovers will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freeze for up to 3 months.
To enjoy again, thaw, if frozen, then bake in the oven or heat in the microwave until warm.
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 (13.8 oz) can Pillsbury pizza crust
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cups pizza sauce
- 3/4 cups filling of choice *
- 12 slices pepperoni
- Parmesan and red pepper flakes for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and spray a standard 12 slot non stick muffin tin with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Roll out pizza crust on a clean surface, then use a 3.5 inch round cookie cutter to cut out 8 circles.
- Combine remaining dough together and roll back out to cut 4 more rounds.
- Place dough circles in the prepared muffin tin, pressing the dough into the bottom and up the sides of each cup.
- Place 1 tablespoon mozzarella cheese into each of the cups, then top with 1 tablespoon pizza sauce and 1 tablespoon filling.
- Sprinkle each with 1 additional tablespoon mozzarella cheese, then place 1 pepperoni on top.
- Bake in preheated oven until the pizza crust has cooked through and the cheese has melted, about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes, before removing from the muffin tin.
- Garnish with parmesan and red pepper flakes, if desired and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
- 1 (16 oz) package Italian sausage
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- Salt, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat, once hot add in sausage, bell pepper, and onion.
- Cook, breaking up the meat as you go, until the sausage is no longer pink.
- Taste and season with salt, then proceed with the recipe.
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.