This Fish Taco Sauce is creamy, tangy, and a little spicy! It’s absolutely perfect drizzled over fish, shrimp, or salmon tacos!
While this fish taco sauce was intended to be served with…yep, you guessed it…fish tacos! It’s absolutely delicious drizzled over just about anything. Blackened salmon, air fryer pork chops, a spoon. 😉 Luckily, it’s super easy to make, so feel free to serve it with every meal!
What sauce goes on fish tacos?
Fish tacos are typically served with a creamy sauce made of sour cream, mayo, lime juice, and spices!
- Sour Cream and Mayo – the base of our sauce! The sour cream adds a light, bright tang and the mayonnaise adds a rich creaminess. For the best flavor and texture use full-fat sour cream and mayo, however, if you’d like to lighten it up, try replacing the sour cream with greek yogurt and the mayo with a lite version. I personally love using olive oil mayo.
- Lime Juice – fresh or bottled lime juice will work. Use bottled juice to keep things easy. The lime juice adds acidity to balance out the richness of the mayo and the spice from the sriracha.
- Sriracha – use as much or as little as you’d like depending on your heat preference. Another hot sauce may be used, but keep in mind that another hot sauce such as Tabasco is thinner and has a more vinegary flavor. Use sriracha for the best results.
- Spices: Garlic Powder, Salt, Chili Powder, and Cumin – these 4 spices work together to add an earthy, smoky, and subtly spicy flavor to the sauce. Fresh garlic may be used to replace the garlic powder, if preferred. Feel free to add more spices such as onion powder or cayenne for even more flavor!
How to make
- Whisk together sour cream, mayo, lime juice, sriracha, garlic powder, salt, chili powder, and cumin in a bowl until combined, then chill and serve!
How to serve
This sauce can be drizzled over just about anything!
- Salmon Tacos (coming soon!)
- Parmesan Crusted Tilapia
- Shredded Chicken Tacos
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Crab Cakes
- Pork Tacos
- Shrimp Tacos
- Air Fryer Fish Sticks
How to store
Leftover sauce will last for up to a week in an airtight container in the fridge.
Fish Taco Sauce
Equipment for this recipe
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce more if you like it spicier
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Place sour cream, mayo, lime juice, Sriracha, garlic powder, salt, chili powder, and cumin into a medium sized bowl and whisk to combine.
- Taste and re-season, if necessary, then chill in the fridge until ready to serve!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.