This Crockpot Chicken and Noodles Recipe is the perfect hearty winter dinner. This classic comfort food is packed with veggies, rotisserie chicken, and chewy egg noodles.
This is a kicked up version of one of my childhood favorites: chicken and noodles. I made it easier, by throwing everything into the crockpot. I made it healthier, by packing in tons of veggies – potatoes, onion, celery, carrots, and peas. AND I made it tastier by loading it up with some of my favorite winter spices.
This crockpot dinner is packed with veggies, chicken, egg noodles, and tons of flavor!
- Yellow Onion, Celery, and Carrot – aka a “mirepoix”. This classic veggie blend adds tons of nutrients, color, and texture.
- Potatoes – Yukon gold potatoes are my potatoes of choice for their light, fluffy texture. This adds to the heartiness of the dish.
- Peas – add a boost of nutrition along with earthy flavors, pops of color, and texture.
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Dried Rosemary, and Dried Thyme – an earthy, nutty, flavorful seasoning blend that takes these chicken and noodles to another level.
- Chicken Broth – soaks into the noodles giving them tons of flavor!
- Half-and-Half – helps create a rich, but not too rich sauce that coats the chicken, veggies, and noodles.
- All-Purpose Flour – thickens the broth and half-and-half to create an ultra creamy sauce!
- Chicken – use a cooked and cubed rotisserie chicken for easy prep. Be sure to remove the bones and skin before proceeding with the recipe.
- Egg Noodles – use Reames Homestyle frozen egg noodles for the best flavor and texture.
How to make
Just 10 minutes of prep for this easy slow cooker chicken and noodles recipe!
- Grease your crockpot with cooking spray then add in potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, seasonings, and chicken broth. Stir to combine then cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or on LOW for 4 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together half-and-half and flour then mix that into the crockpot along with cooked chicken, frozen noodles, and frozen peas.
- Cover and cook an additional 60-90 minutes on HIGH then serve and enjoy!
What chicken to use
Use whatever leftover cooked chicken you have on hand: cooked thighs or breasts. I use a store-bought rotisserie chicken for easy prep: simply remove the skin and bones, chop, and you’re done! Whatever you use, you’ll need 4 cups cooked and cubed chicken.
What noodles to use
Use Reames Homestyle frozen egg noodles for the best results. They’re hearty enough that they won’t disintegrate while cooking in the slow cooker. If you can’t find that specific brand, use whatever frozen egg noodles you have on hand.
I don’t recommend subbing in a different noodle, because cook time and liquid amounts needed will vary.
Do you have to peel the potatoes?
I recommend peeling the potatoes for the best texture, but if potato skins don’t bother you, feel free to leave them on. To easily prep and peel potatoes:
- Wash and dry your potatoes thoroughly.
- Use a vegetable peeler and sharp knife to carefully remove the skin.
- Dice, then proceed with the recipe.
What to serve with chicken and noodles
This delicious recipe is packed with everything you could want in a dinner: veggies, pasta, and lean protein from the chicken. However, it’s delicious served up with some yummy sides too!
How to store
Store leftover chicken and noodles in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then microwave or heat on the stove with a splash of half-and-half or chicken broth to thin it out.
Crockpot Chicken and Noodles
Equipment for this recipe
- 1/2 pound Yukon gold potatoes peeled and diced
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 celery diced
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons salt more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half room temperature
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups cooked and cubed chicken about 1 pound (I used 1 rotisserie chicken with the skin removed)
- 2 (12 oz) bags frozen egg noodles I like Reames Homestyle Noodles
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Grease crockpot with cooking spray.
- Add in potatoes, onions, celery, carrots, salt, pepper, garlic powder, rosemary, thyme, and chicken broth.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or LOW for 4 hours.
- Remove lid, then in a small bowl whisk together half and half and flour, then pour into the crockpot.
- Stir in cooked chicken, frozen noodles, and frozen peas.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for an additional 60-90 minutes, or until noodles are cooked.
- Stir, taste and re-season, if necessary and enjoy!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.