These Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes are creamy, tangy, and packed with gooey cheese. Frozen hash browns are slow cooked with sour cream, cream cheese, and cheddar, then topped with crunchy cheese-its.
These crockpot cheesy potatoes will put all other side dishes to shame. Why? Because they’re easy, cheesy, and delicious. Throw 8 ingredients (that includes salt and pepper, my friends) into a crockpot, stir, walk away, and DONE. The end result is ultra creamy, perfectly cheesy potatoes that are loved by kids and adults alike!
- Hash Browns – use frozen, shredded hash browns. No need to thaw first! Want to amp it up? Try frozen potatoes o’brien with onions and peppers instead.
- Sour Cream, Cream Cheese, and Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup – makes up a creamy, slightly tangy, flavorful cream sauce to coat the potatoes.
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese – or your favorite flavor! Whatever you choose, shred your own. Anti-caking agents in pre-shredded cheeses can give the potatoes a gritty texture, because they don’t melt as well.
- Dry Ranch Seasoning Mix – a mixture of onion powder and flakes, dill, parsley, garlic powder, and more that gives these cheesy potatoes a delicious boost of flavor.
- Salt and Pepper – brings out other flavors and adds a little touch of heat.
- Cheese-Its – sprinkled on top after cooking to give the creamy potatoes a little bit of crunch.
How to make
This cheesy potatoes recipe requires 10 minutes of prep! Just mix, cook, then serve!
- Place frozen hash browns, sour cream, cream cheese, cream of mushroom soup, shredded cheese, ranch seasoning, salt, and pepper into a greased crockpot, then stir until fully combined.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 hours or on LOW for 6 hours.
- Stir, top with crushed crackers, then serve and enjoy!
Do you need to thaw your hash browns?
Do not thaw the hash browns before proceeding with the recipe. There’s no need! Mix them in frozen and you’re good to go. Thawing the hash browns not only creates an extra step, they’ll end up over cooking and become soggy in the crockpot.
Can you use raw potatoes?
You can, but it will likely change your cook time (I’d start with 2 hours on HIGH) and will affect the texture. I’d use frozen hash browns, if possible, but if you are using raw potatoes, wash, dry, peel, and dice them before incorporating into the crockpot.
Can you make cheesy potatoes in the oven?
You can! Mix up all the ingredients in a bowl, spread them into a greased baking dish, then bake covered with foil at 350ºF for 40-45 minutes. Remove the foil in the last 10-15 minutes to get the cheese nice and melty!
I love these cheesy potatoes as they are, but if you want to mix it up, here are some ideas!
- Use potatoes O’brien. Swap the hash browns for frozen potatoes O’Brien with onions and peppers or check out my crockpot funeral potatoes.
- Try another cheese. I love the flavor that cheddar adds but parmesan, pepper jack, mozzarella, or even a blend of cheeses would be delicious.
- Add meat. Mix in some bits of ham, crumbled sausage, or top the potatoes with cooked bacon pieces.
What to serve with cheesy potatoes
This creamy and cheesy side dish can go with any of your favorite entrees and paired with a couple of additional sides.
How to store
Leftover cheesy potatoes will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days or in the freezer for 4-5 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then warm in the microwave, crockpot, or in the oven. Sprinkle on additional cheese-its to regain the crispy texture.
Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
Equipment for this recipe
- 1 (28 oz) bag frozen shredded hash browns
- 1 (8 oz) container sour cream
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese cubed
- 1 (10.5 oz) can
condensed cream of mushroomcheck labels to ensure it's gluten free, if necessary
- 1 (8 oz) block sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 (1 oz) packets dry ranch seasoning mix check labels to ensure it's gluten free, if necessary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups crushed cheese-its or gluten free crispy cheese cracker, if necessary
- Spray 6 quart crockpot with cooking spray.
- Place frozen hash browns, sour cream, cream cheese, cream of mushroom, shredded cheese, ranch seasoning, salt, and pepper into greased crockpot.
- Stir until fully combined.
- Cover and cook on HIGH 3 hours* or LOW 6 hours.
- Stir, top with crushed crackers**, and serve!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.