This Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup is vegan, gluten-free, and super healthy. It’s packed with vegetables, creamy coconut milk, and sweet, spicy flavor!
I swear to all things holy this is the best butternut squash soup I’ve ever had. Not only is it delicious, but it’s made in the crockpot so you only dirty one dish, it’s vegan, it’s gluten-free, and it’s packed with healthy veggies!
- Butternut Squash – the MVP in this soup recipe. Butternut squash blends into an absolutely delicious, sweet, ultra-thick and creamy soup.
- Granny Smith Apple – adds a slightly tart flavor to offset the sweetness from the butternut squash.
- Carrot and Yellow Onion – bring out the sweetness from the butternut squash and help to bulk up the soup even more.
- Jalapeño – gives the soup a touch of heat to cut the richness of the coconut milk. Take the seeds out for a more mild flavor or leave them in if you like the spice!
- Garlic – rounds out the soup with its subtle nuttiness.
- Cumin, Salt, and Black Pepper – a simple, earthy spice blend for another layer of flavor.
- Vegetable Stock, Lime Juice, and Light Coconut Milk – a flavorful and creamy base for the soup.
- Cilantro, Coconut Bacon, Cayenne Pepper, and Coconut Cream – for serving, if desired.
How to make
This crockpot butternut squash soup can be ready in as little as 3 hours OR can cook all day! The choice is yours. 🙂
- Place all the ingredients, with the exception of coconut milk, lime juice, and optional toppings, in your crockpot. Stir to combine then cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- After it’s done cooking, stir in coconut milk and lime juice.
- Blend the mixture in the crockpot with an immersion blender or transfer to your stand blender and blend until smooth then serve and enjoy!
Do you have to peel butternut squash when making soup?
Not necessarily but I recommend it. The skin on butternut squash can get tough when cooked so it may take on a weird texture if you don’t peel it first.
Do you need to blend the soup?
No but I highly recommended. Blending the soup gives it a super creamy texture.
Can you make butternut squash soup without a crockpot?
What to serve with butternut squash soup
Top your butternut squash soup with some cooked sausage, bacon, or roasted chickpeas or serve it alongside some other yummy dishes!
- Honey Roasted Carrots
- Egg Salad Sandwich
- Roasted Sweet Potato and Wild Rice Salad
- Pear, Blue Cheese, Candied Pecan Salad
How to store
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then reheat in the microwave or on the stove until warmed through.
If you’re a soup lover, be sure to check out these other vegan soup recipes!
Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup
Equipment for this recipe
Butternut Squash Soup
- 4 pounds butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1 large Granny Smith Apple peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeño roughly chopped (seeded, for a more mild flavor)
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 (14 oz) can light coconut milk
Optional (but highly recommended) toppings
- chopped cilantro
- coconut bacon
- cayenne pepper if you like spice
- coconut cream*
Butternut Squash Soup
- Place all ingredients (butternut squash through vegetable stock) into crockpot, except coconut milk, lime juice, and optional toppings.
- Stir to combine and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- After cooking time is done, stir in coconut milk and lime juice and blend with an immersion blender directly in your crock pot. Or carefully blend in your stand blender.
- Serve immediately and top with fresh cilantro, coconut bacon, coconut cream, and cayenne pepper!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
This post was originally published September 29, 2015 and has been updated to provide more detailed content.