This Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup Recipe is vegan, gluten free, healthy, full of vegetables, and topped with coconut cream, cilantro, and coconut bacon!
This Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup is one of our most popular recipes (originally posted September 29, 2015), so I’ve updated it to include a how-to video! Enjoy!
This Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup is 👌 👌 👌, because it’s not just ANY butternut squash soup, THIS butternut squash soup is:
A. Made in the crockpot and can be ready in 3 hours, but can also cook all day. #winning
C. Gluten free.
D. Healthy. Squash, apple, carrots, jalapeños…yum!
E. Full of fun toppings. Two words: Coconut. Bacon. Ummmmm yeahhhh.
F. You only dirty ONE dish!
G. Super tasty! I swear to all things holy that this is the best butternut squash soup I’ve ever had.
I know. That was a lot, but I’m just SO excited about this crockpot butternut squash soup.
Did I mention that it’s really yummy? Because it is.
And it’s easy! Today, we’re using butternut squash, an apple, a carrot, a jalapeno, a yellow onion, some garlic, and a few spices! Throw all that into your slow cooker and top with lime juice and vegetable stock. Give it a stir and you’re good to go!
When the crockpot butternut squash soup is done, your veggies will be soooo ridiculously tender. You’re going to stir in some light coconut milk and puree the whole with your immersion blender (or if you don’t have one, using a regular blender) until it’s ultra creamy and delicious.
That’s it! It’s ready to serve up. Now, while this soup is great on it’s own, if you’re looking to kick it up a notch, I’d definitely suggest adding a few toppings: fresh cilantro, cayenne pepper, coconut cream (chill a can of full fat coconut milk in the fridge and the top layer will become thick and creamy), and coconut bacon.
Coconut bacon. Say whaaaat? Read more about that here. But basically, coconut bacon is like the vegan version of bacon. It’s crispy. It’s smokey. It’s addicting and it’s only made with unsweetened flaked coconut (<– click the link to see what I mean, it’s not the flakes you typically find in the baking aisle), soy sauce, liquid smoke 🔥 , and maple syrup. All your favorite bacon-y flavors, but vegan!
It’s takes about 10 minutes to make in the oven and seriously makes this crockpot butternut squash soup even more delicious and adds a seriously yummy crunch!
Make this crockpot butternut squash soup if you’re looking for a super healthy, super tasty, vegan, gluten free dinner!
If you’re a soup lover, be sure to check out these other vegan soup recipes!
Crockpot Butternut Squash Soup
Equipment for this recipe
Butternut Squash Soup
- 4 pounds butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 1 large Granny Smith Apple peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeño roughly chopped (seeded, for a more mild flavor)
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 (14 oz) can light coconut milk
Optional (but highly recommended) toppings
- chopped cilantro
- coconut bacon
- cayenne pepper if you like spice
- coconut cream*
Butternut Squash Soup
- Place all ingredients (butternut squash through vegetable stock) into crockpot, except coconut milk, lime juice, and optional toppings.
- Stir to combine and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- After cooking time is done, stir in coconut milk and lime juice and blend with an immersion blender directly in your crock pot. Or carefully blend in your stand blender.
- Serve immediately and top with fresh cilantro, coconut bacon, coconut cream, and cayenne pepper!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.