The classic Club Sandwich is so easy to make at home! Full of toasted bread, turkey, lettuce, tomato, colby jack cheese, crispy bacon, and my secret sauce!
I love a good sandwich. Who’s with me?! Instead of paying an arm and a leg for a club sandwich, I highly recommend you put your wallet away and make this homemade version at home instead!
What is a club sandwich?
A club sandwich is a sandwich made up of bread, sliced poultry, ham, or bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayonnaise often served warm and held together by a cocktail stick.
What sets the club sandwich apart from other sandwiches is that it’s actually layered twice with a slice of bread sandwiched in the middle!
“Club” actually stands for “Chicken and Lettuce Under Bacon” but for this recipe, I’m using turkey! I’m also veering off the classic club sandwich track and switching things up with a few extra ingredients and my favorite sauce!
This iconic sandwich is made with super simple and easily accessible ingredients, making it the perfect sandwich to whip up at home!
- Bread – I use white sandwich bread to keep this classic, but feel free to use your favorite bread!
- Avocado – a delicious creamy addition to the sandwich to contrast the crispy bacon.
- Salt and Pepper – enhances other flavors and adds a bit of spice.
- Colby Jack Cheese – adds a sharp, tangy, cheesy flavor and delicious creamy texture. As with the bread, colby jack is pretty classic, but other cheeses such as gouda, pepper-jack, and more would be delicious!
- Sliced Deli Turkey Breast – grab it from your local deli for the best flavor and texture! If you’re on a budget, the pre-packaged variety is great! Feel free to swap the turkey for the more chicken or ham.
- Lettuce and Tomato – the classic club sandwich veggies. Both add fresh, earthy flavors. The lettuce adds crunch and the tomato provides an amazing juiciness.
- Bacon – adds a super yummy, smoky flavor and crunchy texture. Use my oven baked bacon recipe!
- Honey Mustard Dressing – traditionally, mayo is used, but my honey mustard dressing made with mayo, honey, dijon, and lemon juice takes this classic sandwich to the next level!
How to make
This restaurant quality sandwich comes together in 10 minutes!
- Take three slices of toasted bread and spread each with mashed avocado, season with salt and pepper, then drizzle with honey mustard dressing.
- On one slice of toast layer cheese, turkey, lettuce, and tomato, season again with salt and pepper, then top with two slices of bacon.
- Cover that with a second slice of toast then repeat the layers.
- Top with the last slice of toast, cut into halves, then serve and enjoy!
What bread to use
Any bread will work. To keep things classic, use plain white sandwich bread. It has a simple flavor, making it a great base for the other ingredients. It also toasts well and is affordable.
What meat to use
The “C” in club stands for chicken so that’s the classic meat to use. However, for this recipe I used sliced turkey which is delicious! We’re also giving the sandwich a little something extra by layering on some crispy bacon…and it’s so good!
Why does a club sandwich have three pieces of bread?
Although no one is really sure, the theory is that, since club sandwiches are made using quite a bit of deli meat, the extra piece of bread is added to balance out the meat to bread ratio!
- Use a different meat. Chicken, ham, bologna, etc.
- Add additional condiments and veggies. Make it creamier with a layer of mayo, add pickles or cucumber, add greens, or use any of your favorite sandwich toppings.
- Use a different cheese. Try cheddar, provolone, pepper jack, you name it!
What to serve with a club sandwich
This club sandwich is pretty filling on its own but I do love to serve it up with a side dish or two as well!
How to store
I only recommend eating this fresh. Since the club sandwich comes together in 10 minutes, assemble it right before you’re ready to eat! That way it’s fresh, crispy, and as delicious as possible.
- Spread each slice of bread with mashed avocado.
- Season the avocado with salt and pepper, then drizzle each slice with 1/2 - 1 tablespoon honey mustard dressing.
- On one slice of toast, layer 1 slice cheese, 2 oz turkey, 2 lettuce leaves, and 2 tomato slices.
- Season the tomato with salt and pepper, then top with 2 pieces of bacon.
- Cover with a slice of toast, then repeat.
- Top with last slice of toast.
- Cut into halves and serve with pickles and fries!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.