An old classic reinvented! These Healthy Turkey Meatloaf Sandwiches are healthy, flavorful, and packed with delicious spices, mushrooms, and more!
Thanks to our friends at Ozery Bakery for sponsoring today’s post!
Healthy. Turkey. Meatloaf. Sandwiches.
Here’s the thing.
It’s not often that I crave meatloaf.
I’m sure you guys are all with me. 😉
But just trust me on this one, because this isn’t just any weird, old, grey blob of meat.
THIS is a recipe for Healthy Turkey Meatloaf Sandwiches.
Think classic meatloaf but better. 😉
Better FOR you, because they’re made with turkey. BETTER flavored, because of yummy things like tangy apple cider vinegar and mushrooms.
And I mean, just overall better in general, because, I mean, meatloaf sandwiches > meatloaf slices.
Who’s ready to kick this classic up a notch?!
These Healthy Turkey Meatloaf Sandwiches start by combining buttermilk and Ozery Bakery’s One Bun Whole Wheat 100 Cal Sandwich Buns. Ozery Bakery is a family-owned alternative to traditional bread products. Their products are made from hearty whole grains, fruits and seeds, are UNBELIEVABLY delicious…
Plus, I mean, these buns are 100 calories, soooo YES please!
This little magical combo is what gives these sandwiches tons of moisture and flavor without a ton of calories.
While the bread gets nice and soft, you’re going to prepare the rest of the ingredients: chop some onion and mushrooms.
Place those into a bowl and combine with ground turkey, garlic, an egg, salt, pepper, sage, and the buttermilk/bread mixture.
Mix everything up, form them into patties, then top with with a little ketchup and apple cider vinegar, and bake ‘em up.
Now. While THAT deliciousness above is baking to perfection, you’re going to make a quick little sautéed mushroom situation.
Melt coconut oil —> add mushrooms + salt, pepper, and apple cider vinegar —> cook until tender —> DONE.
All that’s left is to make some sandwiches!
For the base, we’re using another One Bun Whole Wheat 100 Cal Sandwich Bun.
Bun —> spinach —> meatloaf burger —> mushrooms —> bun.
This combo, you guys, is absolutely killer. The thin, yet hearty bun is the perfect vessel for the tender, ultra moist turkey meatloaf, and tangy mushrooms.
I’ve honestly never been more excited for meatloaf. 😉
Turkey Meatloaf Sandwiches Recipe
Equipment for this recipe
Healthy Turkey Meatloaf Sandwiches
- 1 bun One Bun Whole Wheat 100 Cal Sandwich Buns cubed (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1/2 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 (4 oz) package mushrooms finely chopped
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large egg whisked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 (4 oz) package sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon salt more or less to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat.
- Combine cubed bread and buttermilk in a large bowl and let sit for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add in onion, mushrooms, turkey, garlic, egg, salt, pepper, and sage.
- Mix together, shape into 4 patties, and place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Whisk together ketchup and vinegar and spread evenly over the 4 patties.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until the center of the patties are no longer pink and cooked through.
- While the burgers are cooking, melt coconut oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Once melted, stir in mushrooms, salt, and pepper.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 3 minutes.
- Add in vinegar and cook until mushrooms are tender, about 1-3 additional minutes.
- Serve cooked meatloaf and mushrooms on One Bun Whole Wheat 100 Cal Sandwich Buns and enjoy!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.
Thanks again to Ozery Bakery for sponsoring today’s post!