If you’re looking for a quick and easy, fresh, summer lunch, then look no further, because this Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipe is perfect! Your favorite bread slathered in homemade (or store-bought) pesto and topped with gooey mozzarella cheese, and fresh juicy tomatoes!
Before the internet breaks from all-things-pumpkin-spice, which, at least in the blogging world, becomes socially acceptable come September 1st, I thought I’d sneak in one more super fresh, super summer-y recipe.
Say hello to the amazing, the incredible, the one and only . . . caprese grilled cheese sandwich.
This *might* be my favorite mash up yet. Caprese + grilled cheese = everything you love about summer + grilled cheese, which, grilled cheese = life.
You following me? If not, all I’m saying is that this is soooo delicious.
Perfectly pan fried bread with gooey mozzarella, fresh roma tomatoes, and homemade basil pesto (or store-bought if you choose) . . . what’s not to love?!
When using fresh, in season produce, recipes don’t need many ingredients are take a lot of time. #winning
Today’s recipe is no exception. There are only a few parts to this caprese grilled cheese:
- The tomatoes
- The bread
- The pesto
- The cheese
You’ll start by “making” the tomatoes. Place sliced tomatoes into a bowl and toss with extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, and salt to taste.
While, yes, this is an extra step, is there anything better than marinated fresh tomatoes?! I LOVE the extra garlic-y zip and balsamic tang.
Next up, the bread. Use whatever you like. I used generic white sandwich bread, but you could also use a more rustic, bakery bread if you’re feeling that instead!
Then there’s the pesto. You can ABSOLUTELY use store-bought pesto, but I’d really recommend making my homemade basil pesto if you have an extra 10 minutes.
Lastly, there’s the cheese. Fresh mozzarella. ‘Nough said.
Tips & Tricks for Making the Best Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich:
- Make the tomato mixture ahead of time. The longer they marinate, the more flavor they’ll have. That being said, they’re still delicious if you make them right before serving.
- Use your favorite bread. Gluten free? Use gluten free bread! As long as it can toast up in a pan, you’re good to go!
- Make your own pesto. Like I said, you can use store-bought, but if you have time, use any of these recipes:
- Use fresh mozzarella (the kind you find in a ball) and slice it yourself. You can use shredded or pre-sliced mozzarella, but there are SO few ingredients in this recipe, I’d splurge for the good stuff if you can!
- Melt the butter in the pan instead of spreading it on the bread.
- Trust me. This is SO much easier.
- Keep your heat around medium.
- Too hot and your bread will get crispy before the cheese melts and too low and your bread won’t get crispy!
While this caprese grilled cheese recipe is SUPER simple, it’s absolutely PACKED with flavor. You just can’t go wrong with perfectly toasted bread, ultra gooey mozzarella, juicy tomatoes, and herb-y, garlicky basil pesto.
Back off pumpkin spice, we’re not *quite* ready for you yet. 😉
What other twists on grilled cheese should I make? Show Me the Yummy!
Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 slices roma tomato I needed less than 1 roma tomato
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic minced or pressed
- salt to taste
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons basil pesto
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese I sliced a fresh mozzarella ball
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a small bowl, gently stir together tomatoes, oil, vinegar, garlic, and salt, to taste. Set aside.
- Spread pesto on one side of each piece of bread.
- Top one side with mozzarella and tomatoes.
- Top with remaining piece of bread. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a non-stick saute pan over medium heat.
- Place sandwich in pan and cook until golden brown.
- Flip and continue cooking until the other side is golden brown and the cheese is fully melted.*
- Slice and serve!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.