These are the BEST Easy Air Fryer French Fries! They’re crispy on the outside, fluffy in the middle, and perfectly seasoned! Oven directions for baked fries included.
This is the best air fryer french fries recipe! Perfectly crispy, deliciously seasoned, and healthier than normal fries since they’re made with less oil! WIN-WIN-WIN!
My secret ingredient? The spice mix! Seasoned fries are WAY better than unseasoned fries.
- Granulated Sugar and Warm Water – soaking the potatoes in sugar water helps remove excess starch and prevents the potatoes from soaking up too much grease. Both of these things result in extra crispy fries!
- Cornstarch – this coats the potatoes along with the seasonings and really helps them get crispy.
- Salt, Pepper, Paprika, Onion Powder, and Garlic Powder – a super flavorful seasoning blend with just the right amount of spice.
- Potatoes – use russet potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch strips for the best results.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil – these fries are air-fried but the bit of oil allows them to get extra crispy and prevents them from sticking to the air fryer!
How to make
After a quick soak in the sugar water, these homemade air fryer french fries are ready to go in just about 10 minutes!
- Dissolve the sugar in the warm water in a medium-sized bowl.
- Submerge the sliced potatoes in the sugar/water mixture and soak for 30 minutes. Remove the potatoes and dry them thoroughly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and seasonings.
- Place the dried potatoes in a gallon-sized ziplock baggie, drizzle in olive oil, then seal the bag and shake until the potatoes are fully coated.
- Sprinkle in the spice mixture then seal and shake again.
- Preheat your air fryer to 375ºF and, working in batches, air fry your fries for 10-15 minutes then serve and enjoy!
What potatoes to use
Russet potatoes are the best potatoes for french fries. Russets are high in starch and have the least amount of moisture. Less moisture means crispier fries!
How to prep potatoes for french fries
Prepping your potatoes is easy! You’ll need a cutting board, a vegetable peeler, and a knife.
- Wash, dry, then peel your potatoes with a vegetable peeler.
- Use a sharp knife to slice them into 1/4-inch strips. If you need a visual, I love this post about How to Cut Potatoes into Fries.
How long to cook french fries in the air fryer
Preheat the air fryer to 375 degrees F, then air fry the french fries in a single layer for 10-15 minutes. Cook time will vary depending on how thinly you slice your potatoes.
Can you layer fries in an air fryer?
I don’t recommend it! You want the heat to be able to reach every part of the fry, so they should be spread out in an even layer in the air fryer. If you stack the fries, they won’t cook evenly, and won’t be as crispy.
How to season homemade french fries
We’re using a super simple yet super yummy seasoning blend:
- onion powder
- garlic powder
These are spices you probably already have around, but together they add so much flavor to the french fries.
Why are my fries soggy?
There are a few reasons your fries might have come out too soggy:
- You layered them in the air fryer. You want the air to reach every part of the fry. If the potatoes are overlapping it won’t be able to and the fries may be soggy.
- You didn’t dry the potatoes. Soaking the potato slices in water helps remove the starch but excess water prevents them from crisping up. Make sure you dry the potatoes after you soak them!
- You didn’t use cornstarch. Cornstarch absorbs excess moisture so without it the fries won’t be nearly as crispy. Don’t skip it!
- You let them sit out too long. Preheat your oven to 200ºF, place the already air-fried fries on a baking sheet, and keep those in the oven until the rest are done to keep them warm and crispy!
Can you bake french fries?
No air fryer? That’s okay! You can definitely try baking your fries instead.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF and line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
- Prepare the fries as directed, but inside of air-frying, spread the fries in a single layer onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Leaving the fries in the oven, turn the oven up to 425ºF and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the fries are golden-brown and crisped to your liking.
Are air fryer french fries healthy?
Although french fries aren’t necessarily a health food, making them in the air fryer definitely makes them healthier than they would be deep fried!
So I’d say there are definitely worse things you could be eating. It’s really just potatoes and some spices. 😉
What to serve with air fryer french fries
I love to munch on these air fryer french fries plain, but they’re also delicious with a dipping sauce:
They’re also amazing as a salty side for some yummy main dishes!
How to store
Leftover air fryer french fries will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
How to reheat leftover fries
I recommend putting your fries back in the air fryer for a few minutes or baking them in the oven to reheat so they can crisp back up.
Microwaving them will make them soft and soggy.
Air Fryer French Fries
Equipment for this recipe
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes (about 2 large russets) peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon pepper (1 teaspoon gives it a real kick)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Dissolve the sugar in the warm water in a medium sized bowl.
- Submerge sliced potatoes and soak for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Remove potatoes from water, and dry thoroughly on paper towels.
- Place dried potatoes into a gallon sized baggie.
- Drizzle in olive oil.
- Seal the baggie and shake until the potatoes are fully coated in the oil.
- Sprinkle in spice mixture and again, seal, then shake until the potatoes are fully coated.
- Preheat air fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Working in batches* air fry for 10-15 minutes.
- Place cooked fries onto a baking sheet, then into a warm oven (about 200 degrees) while the other batches of fries are cooking.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.