These Air Fryer Potato Wedges are deliciously seasoned, perfectly crispy on the outside, and soft and fluffy in the middle. Serve with your favorite dipping sauces!
The ingredient list is simple, but the spices really pack a flavor punch!
- Granulated Sugar and Warm Water – soaking the potatoes in sugar water draws out the starch giving the air fried potato wedges an extra crispy texture.
- Russet Potatoes – perfect for potato wedges because of their size and texture. Russets are high in starch, dense, and have the least amount of water, making them great for crispy, yet fluffy wedges!
- Salt, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Paprika, Chili Powder, Black Pepper, Ground Turmeric, and Celery Seed – a sweet and spicy seasoning blend to coat the outsides of the potato wedges and add tons of flavor.
- Olive Oil – coats the outside of the wedges, helping the seasonings stick and also allowing the outsides of the wedges to get nice and crispy.
How to make
After soaking, these air fryer potato wedges are ready in 25 minutes!
- In a medium bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water then soak the potato wedges in the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Remove the wedges from the water and dry thoroughly on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, whisk together salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, black pepper, ground turmeric, and celery seed.
- Place your soaked and dried potatoes into a gallon sized ziplock baggie, pour in olive oil, and shake to coat the potatoes. Pour in seasoning and shake again until the wedges are fully coated with spices.
- Air fry 8 wedges at a time in your air fryer set to 400ºF, flipping halfway through then serve and enjoy!
What potato works best for wedges?
Russet potatoes work best for wedges. Their size is perfect for wedges and their high starch content allows them to get nice and crispy on the outside while staying fluffy in the middle.
How to cut potato wedges
Prepping your potatoes to make wedges couldn’t be easier:
- Slice the potato in half lengthwise.
- Place it flat-side down on a cutting board and slice it in half again, also lengthwise.
- Flip each piece so the cut side is up and slice down the center once more to make wedges.
If you’re a visual leaner, watch the video!
How to make air fryer potato wedges crispy
There are a few key ways you can make sure your potato wedges are crispy:
- Soak the potato in sugar water. Soaking the wedges in sugar water before cooking them helps draw out some of the starch in the potatoes which helps them crisp up.
- Dry the wedges well. After you soak the potatoes, remove them from the water and dry them thoroughly with paper towels. Excess water will steam the potatoes so they will be too soft and won’t be able to get crispy.
- Use olive oil. Coating the potato wedges in oil (which has a high smoke point) keeps them from burning, but allows them to get crispy.
- Cook on high heat. Set your air fryer to 400ºF and make sure it’s fully preheated before you cook the potato wedges. High heat gets the outsides crispy but keeps the insides fluffy.
Can you make potato wedges without an air fryer?
You sure can! If you don’t have an air fryer or you want to make a bigger batch, check out my oven-baked potato wedges (coming soon!).
What to serve with potato wedges
Serve these potato wedges on their own with a couple of dipping sauces or as a side dish to an entree. Here are some ideas!
- Ketchup, Mustard, Fry Sauce, Chick Fil A Sauce, Honey Mustard, and Ranch Dressing
- Black Bean Burger
- Chicken Sandwich
- Baked Pork Chops
How to store
Potato wedges are best served immediately, but leftover potato wedges will last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for 5-6 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then bake or air fry to warm and re-crisp.
Air Fryer Potato Wedges
Equipment for this recipe
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 (6-7 oz) russet potatoes washed, dried, then cut into wedges
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a medium bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water.
- Soak potato wedges in water mixture for 30 minutes.
- Remove from water, and dry thoroughly on paper towels. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together salt, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, chili powder, black pepper, ground turmeric, and celery seed. Set aside.
- Place dried potatoes into a gallon sized ziplock baggie.
- Pour in olive oil, seal, and shake to coat the potatoes.
- Pour in the seasoning, seal, and shake to coat the potatoes again.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F.
- Air fry 1/2 the wedges (8 wedges) for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Repeat with remaining wedges and enjoy with dipping sauce of choice!
- Take 5 seconds to rate this recipe below. We greatly appreciate it!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.