This Black Bean Burger Recipe is PACKED with vegetables and flavor and is super quick and easy to make. All you need is 10 minutes and a food processor! Vegan. Gluten Free.
Have you ever had a Black Bean Burger?
Because you need to.
Because they’re ah-mazing.
Don’t ask me why, but I’ve been SUPER into veggie burgers for lunch lately.
I LOVE that they’re packed with veggies and nutrients, but I DON’T necessarily love the price tag on the store bought varieties.
This Homemade Black Bean Burger Recipe!
They’re much cheaper to make, they’re SUPER tasty, and they come together in a matter of minutes.
Who’s ready to try one?!
Although Trevor and I aren’t vegan – or even vegetarian – we DO try to eat meatless at once a week.
It’s good for you, your wallet, and the environment.
First things first, let’s address the elephant in the room . . .
Do black bean burgers taste like beef?
No. They don’t. 🙂 But they taste really really really delicious.
What are the ingredients in the best gluten free vegan black bean burger?
- Chia seeds
- Green bell pepper
- Red onion
- Chili powder
- Black beans
- Old fashioned oats (make sure these are certified gluten free, if you follow a gluten free diet)
How do you make homemade veggie burgers?
- Place diced bell pepper and onion into a food processor with garlic and a handful of cilantro.
- Pulse together until it starts to combine.
- Add in a chia egg (chia seeds + water <– combine and let sit for 10 minutes), black beans, and oats.
- Again, pulse together until combined.
- Let the mixture chill for about an hour in the fridge, and then form into four HUGE patties (use a 1/2 cup measuring cup for consistency).
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Top with guac (obvi) and pico de gallo and you’ve got yourself a super hearty, vegan, gluten free, totally healthy Black Bean Burger!
Trevor, who honestly isn’t as excited about eating meatless once a week as I am, went head over heels for this recipe.
Our buddy, Greg, who doesn’t typically like black bean burgers, is totally in love.
Hop on the vegan burger train and give these Black Bean Burgers a try!
Have you ever tried a vegan black bean burger? What veggie burger should I make next? Show Me the Yummy!
Black Bean Burger Recipe
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 green bell pepper roughly chopped
- 1/2 small red onion roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans drained and rinsed dried
- 3/4 cups old fashioned oats
- In a small bowl, combine chia seeds and water.
- Set aside for 10-15 minutes, or until the chia seeds have soaked up all the water. This is your chia "egg".
- In a food processor, place pepper, onion, garlic, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and salt.
- Pulse until the veggies have been finely chopped.
- Add in chia "egg", black beans, and oats and pulse again until everything has been well combined.
- Chill mixture for an hour in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat.
- Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup, divide the mixture into 4 even patties.
- Use your hands to shape them into burger shapes.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, flip, then bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Note: Nutritional information is estimated and varies based on products used.