This Slow Cooker Rice is a fool proof way to make fluffy, flavorful, and versatile rice! Use it as a base for a sauce or as a side dish to any entree.
I love rice, because it’s SO versatile. It’s a great side dish next to virtually any dinner or you can stir it into other ingredients to make anything from a casserole to fried rice!
Can you use a slow cooker to cook rice?
Cooking rice in a slow cooker is amazing! Here’s why you’ll love this method just as much as I do:
- It’s easy. Take five minutes to throw three ingredients in the slow cooker and you’re good to go.
- It cooks evenly. Stir once halfway through and the rice is cooked evenly and doesn’t burn on the bottom.
- You can make a lot. Slow cookers are huge. You can make a huge batch if needed or keep it small.
Only 3 pantry staple ingredients are required for flavorful slow cooker rice!
- Broth – vegetable or chicken broth adds the right amount of flavor while still keeping the rice versatile enough to be served with a number of different foods.
- Jasmine Rice – jasmine rice is slightly sweet, soft, and fluffy which is perfect in the slow cooker.
- Unsalted Butter – gives the rice a rich, warm flavor and helps prevent it from sticking in the crockpot. Use a vegan variety or coconut oil, if desired!
How to make
I love making rice in the slow cooker because it’s so easy with just 5 minutes of prep and you’ve got perfectly cooked rice in a totally hands-off 2 hours!
- Grease a crockpot with cooking spray then add in broth and rice. Mix until combined then top with butter.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2 hours, stirring after 1 hour. Add time if needed until the rice is tender.
- Uncover and fluff rice with a fork then serve and enjoy!
How long to cook
Your rice will cook in the slow cooker for 2 hours on LOW. I don’t recommend cooking it on high or it won’t be as tender.
What rice to use
I love the soft and fluffy texture of jasmine rice for this recipe, but feel free to use another long grain white rice like basmati rice if preferred.
You can use brown rice, but the cook time and liquid amount will likely increase.
Do you rinse the rice?
Yes! Rinsing the rice helps remove excess starch on the rice grains which results in more tender, fluffier rice.
If you don’t rinse the rice it will be sticker, mushy, and clump together more easily.
What is the ratio of rice to water when cooking rice in the slow cooker?
This depends on your preference! You have three options depending on how you like your rice:
- A 1:1 ratio of broth to rice (1 cup rice and 1 cup broth) results in a drier more al dente rice.
- A 1.5:1 ratio (1 1/2 cups broth and 1 cup rice) will result in a softer, sticker rice.
- A 1.25:1 ratio (1 1/4 cups broth and 1 cup rice) to meet somewhere in the middle!
What to serve with slow cooker rice
You can use this rice as a base to a sauce or as a side dish to an entree! Here are some yummy ideas!
How to store
Leftover rice will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge if frozen then microwave to warm.
Slow Cooker Rice
Equipment for this recipe
- 1- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth * or use water + 1/2 - 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup jasmine rice rinsed and drained well
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or vegan substitute
- Grease a 6 quart crockpot with cooking spray.
- Stir in broth and rice until combined, then top with butter.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2 hours, stirring after 1 hour, adding more time, if necessary, until rice is tender.
- Uncover, fluff rice with a fork, taste and re-season, then serve and enjoy!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.