At 200 calories per serving, this Skinny Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe is a significantly lightened up version of a classic! While it may be light on calories, it certainly isn’t light on flavor!
This is probably my last soup recipe of the season (fingers crossed that summer weather is right around the corner!), but I just HAD to sneak one more in, because this one is
Perfect for cool spring evenings, or chilly, rainy summer days, this Skinny Broccoli Cheese Soup is loaded with flavor, but definitely light on calories.
It has all your fave broccoli cheese soup flavors, but is lightened up with my secret ingredient . . .
Who’s ready for some health-i-fied, flavor bomb soup?!
I don’t know about you, but I could eat soup/chili
Even in the summer:
- Because Trevor likes the apartment FREEZING cold, so I need something to keep me warm.
- Because summer thunderstorms call for curling up with a movie and a bowl of soup.
- Um, because it tastes good? And CAN be loaded with good for ingredients.
But back to #3, because it can also be loaded with heavy cream, butter, loads of cheese, and just be a total gut bomb. That’s great for those winter days when you can really use some stick-to-your-ribs kinda food, but for summer, I like keepin’ things a little lightened up. 😉
Enter: Skinny Broccoli Cheese Soup.
Honestly, this turned out even better than I imagined.
I’m not gonna lie, I was a little worried to have people taste test, because no, this isn’t as creamy and cheesy as your traditional broccoli cheese soup.
As long as you KNOW it’s not going to be as creamy and heavy as the traditional version, I just KNOW you’re going to get rave reviews.
I know I did (husband AND neighbor approved thankyouverymuch).
Did I mention this is a one pot wonder?!
You’re going to start by melting just a touch of butter in a large stockpot.
Then you’ll add in onion, celery, garlic, and spices: salt/nutmeg/pepper – and let that cook for about five minutes.
Next up, stir in some broth, milk, and frozen cauliflower florets. Simmer until the cauli is tender, then use an immersion blender to blend until smooth! PS – If you don’t have an immersion blender (you should get one… less than $30! 😉 ), you can definitely use your high powdered blender!
Then, add in some shredded carrot, frozen broccoli florets, and cook THAT until the broccoli is tender.
Blend away –> stir in some cheese –> EAT!
This Skinny Broccoli Cheese Soup is the perfect, lightened up spring soup that’s loaded with veggies and flavor. I PROMISE you won’t even miss the heavy cream. 😉
What should I lighten up next? Show Me the Yummy!
Skinny Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh pepper
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth more as needed to thin out to desired consistency
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 (16 oz) bag frozen cauliflower florets
- 1 medium carrot shredded
- 1 (16 oz) bag frozen broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 cups reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar about 6-8 oz
- In a large soup pot, melt butter over medium/medium high heat.
- Add chopped onion, celery, and garlic, and spices and cook, about 5 minutes.
- Add in broth, milk, and cauliflower and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer until cauliflower is fork tender, about 3-5 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to blend.
- Add in carrots and broccoli and simmer until broccoli is cooked to your liking, about 5 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to blend.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Taste and re-season, if necessary and serve!
*Note: Nutrition information is estimated and varies based on products used.